I just started to be a seller today. How do I increase my selling price limitations?

EBay said my limit this month was $750 after I listed the first item for $250.  How do I get that increased so I can sell my next item?  It is worth $3600.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I just started to be a seller today. How do I increase my selling price limitations?

not going to happen for a few months till you make a few dozen sales,you can request it by calling them,you also cant take the money out of paypal for at least a month but you can use your paypal balance for printing shipping labels off the paypal site,hate to burst your bubble so to speak but it takes time,you basically have to prove yourself first,there is more too it than meets the eye

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Well, that's an interesting business plan.

Zero feedback sellers are fresh meat for scammers.

I'd be very leery of listing anything for $250 even after 15 years on eBay.

Did you know that your customers' cleared payments will be Held by Paypal against your good service for 21 days?

Do you know why you never give your customers your PP information?

Do you know where to confirm that you have actually been paid for your sale?

Have you ever bought anything on eBay?

How familiar are you with the Canada Post shipping rates? Do you know the problem with Registered Mail?

Are you willing to sell that altimeter for 99 cents including shipping? Because you don't have anything listed for $250.

Frankly, take down the listing and spend more time researching.

Start by buying some inexpensive items. A metric digital scale, some folded boxes, bubblewrap. See how the process works from the customer's side.

Then start by selling inexpensive items you can afford to lose.

If you have specific questions come back. We are fellow members with lots of experience, tempered with  beady-eyed cynicism.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Also:

If you have an idea of what you need to sell this item for, it's better to start the auction at that price or use Buy It Now as your format. Bidders get turned-off big time by reserves and, I think, it will cost you money to set a reserve that you could mostly avoid the other ways.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hello 'turboarrow3', 

<<I just started to be a seller today. How do I increase my selling price limitations?>>

Congrats on becoming an ebay seller.  May you always have a prosperous and rewarding time of it.  

To increase your limits, however, requires time and sales.  

Limits are set to ensure the good behaviour of both buyers and sellers, -- buyers so that new sellers do not get taken advantage of by a world of scammers whilst the seller learns how ebay works, -- and on new sellers so that naive buyers do not get taken advantage of by those scammers who would list a half-million$ worth of items they don't have and then abscond with all the money.  

So you have to prove yourself over time and do so with great items that arrive quickly and as described, and always providing superior customer service.  This link here will explain about all the limits, and you may as well get to know them:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

To be successful on ebay you will need to do a bit of reading, -- but not much, as it is pretty easy.  If you want to see about that paypal 21-day hold on your funds:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html

You still have to ship the item, however.  You cannot wait for that 21 days to pass and then send the item.  You will, however, be able to access just enough of it to print your shipping label.  

<< my limit this month was $750 after I listed the first item for $250.  >>

I take it that is the Reserve price on the current listing.  Reserves are always a bad idea unless you state in the listing what the reserve price is.  Well, think about it.  Imagine you walked into a shop and saw an item you liked and when you inquire about the price the clerk says "Take a guess".

How long will you continue to guess 'wrong' until you walk out of the store?

You do not say what the $3600 item is.  If it were, say, something that you did not plan to mail and would only be picked up at your house, like a canoe, you could do that but if you plan to list and mail something that valuable the reason for the restrictions is because too many trusting new users do not know how to ensure their own safety.  An item like that must go Delivery Confirmed with a signature.  

I don't know what your other item is but different categories permit different limits, - if you were selling a motorcycle, for example.   Some people have managed to call ebay via the Help & Contact link (top of the page) and get their limits increased but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that at this early juncture.  Still, if you've got lots of spare time, . . . . 

And of course, you will have already seen this bit about selling on ebay:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/selling-basics.html

I wish you all the best with it. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
latest reply