A buyer has purchased something from me and now wants to pay in 2 payments. How do I do this?

A buyer purchased something from me in the last week. She is now asking me if I could split the invoice in two different payments. I don't have a problem with this but I am not sure about how to go about this for her? Does anybody know.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A buyer has purchased something from me and now wants to pay in 2 payments. How do I do this?

Your buyer should be aware that if the transaction goes pear-shaped, she would only be able to get a refund on one of the payments.

Suggest that she instead back her Paypal account with a credit card and pay in full. She can then pay off the card at her leisure. In addition, she would have a second layer of Buyer Protection, from PP and the cc.

What is your plan if she never makes the second payment?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You can send her a separate invoice through Paypal, and divide the payment in two if you like. Click on send invoice and enter in the buyers email address.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If you do choose to send the buyer two separate invoices, then you will have to cancel the original invoice. If you

do not cancel it, then the buyer will continue to receive emails that they owe the amount  on this original invoice.

As a courtesy to the buyer, you might want to email the buyer that you will be cancelling the original invoice (in due time, or when the two separate ones are paid in full, or similar wording ) and for the buyer to just ignore/not pay the original one in the time being.

You, as the seller, might want to ensure that the two separate invoices appear as you have agreed to, and to send those two out, though before you cancel the original invoice.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Your buyer should be aware that if the transaction goes pear-shaped, she would only be able to get a refund on one of the payments.

Suggest that she instead back her Paypal account with a credit card and pay in full. She can then pay off the card at her leisure. In addition, she would have a second layer of Buyer Protection, from PP and the cc.

What is your plan if she never makes the second payment?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply