why is there a one thousand dollar per month limit on what one can list for sale

rwit6710
Community Member

why is there a one thousand dollar per month limit on what one can list for sale?  I have many items in the several hundred dollar range that I want to lose, but  Ebay  restricts my ability to list them...... What gives?

It seems to me that policy will force me to try sell elsewhere which IMO is like ebay shooting themselves in the foot

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

why is there a one thousand dollar per month limit on what one can list for sale

A) So you won't 'lose ' them. (sorry couldn't resist). But new sellers are all too often scammed by dishonest buyers. The restriction helps you learn the system and the potential red flags before you lose everything.

Most experienced sellers will tell you to do some buying here first. This has the advantage of letting you see the system from the position of your potential customers. You will build feedback  which both protects you against scammers and gives you an aura of trustworthiness. And you will have some things you need, since some of the things you should buy, both from Canada and the US and from overseas, are a metric digital scale and packaging supplies.

And don't sell high value /high fraud items when you are starting out. That's just asking for trouble.

B) Mostly this is a Buyer Protection policy. There are sellers who appear suddenly with listings that are too good to be true. Then they disappear with the money and never send out anything.

For this reason, as I am sure you already know, your customers' payments will be Held against your good performance for 21 days. You will be able to use the Held money to print out Paypal shipping labels and you get a discount of 5% to 18%  from PO counter prices when you do.

In return you get access to millions of buyers around the world who are confident that they can buy from an eBay seller because we are going to treat them right. Or else eBay will be angry. We don't want to see eBay angry.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Aaaaand you have already made two newbie errors.

EBay told you to start your auction low, didn't they? So you listed an item you believe is worth $300 for $9.99. Because you have no track record, it is very likely that the hood ornament will sell for well under $100, possibly under $25.

Personally, I would cancel the two bids you already have, end the auction, and hold that item until you have more experience.

And for an item which I guess is hard to find and in nice shape, you should have a longer description with more detail. Like the size of the ornament.

And while you are willing to ship to the USA, there is no shipping cost given. There's a backbutton error right there.

The second error is less obvious. You have 80 searchable keystrokes to describe your item for free. And you are paying for the more precise sub-title which is not Searchable. Both titles are obscure and lacking in keywords.

The bit about the 1947 coupe (is that a make , a model, or a type? Can you be more precise?) should be in the title for example. I know nothing about cars, so you're on your own. But anything you can fit into the (free!) title will help. And again, if you think it's worth $100 don't list it at $10 until you have a reputation.

And again, you have no shipping cost to the USA.

See? Think about how much you could lose if you listed all your neat stuff right away, before you understood what you are doing.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Oh my yes....I can see that hood ornament going for under $50.00 and the same for the distributor.  There is a very small market for such items and people who are looking for them know their value too the penny.  As it is right now I would lay a bet your bidders are resellers with some reputation and knowledge.

Do not start a listing for less then you can bear to let the item go for.  Other sites will provide similar restrictions as well and your payment processor will also have rules and regulations.  I think everyone that tells a new seller to go out and make some purchases are really giving you the best advice there is. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Also your shipping is wacked.....I know that that hood ornament would cost considerably more to ship from chase too me then $9.99 expedited.  You should box it up and take it into your local post office (down by the Pharmasave if I remember rightly) and get them to give you prices for various Canadian locations unless you care to invest in a scale.  And don't forget you will need the insurance if it goes for a good price.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply