Benefits to a store account over a regular account?

I'm completely new to Ebay and I have a lot of items I'd like to sell from my home, new and used.  Would it be better to have a store account or a regular account?  If so, why?  

Also, I live in Canada.  Will I be able to sell to US buyers and what's the best methods for shipping in across Canada and to the USA? 

If there's any other advice you can offer me, I'd greatly appreciate it.  

Thanks so much for your help! 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Store accounts are meant for experienced sellers with a large number of slow moving items or multiples of fast moving items. When I am not on hiatus, my Store fits into the former category with around 1500 used science fiction paperbacks.

If you want to sell into the much larger US market, list in US dollars and make sure your shipping and handling fee for US sales is set up.

Canada Post is almost always the most efficient and cheapest method of shipping although for some large heavy items couriers or even the bus company may be competitive.

Read read read the Sellers' Board, but keep in mind that people don't come here to boast about their successes but to ask advice on occasional failures.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Oh yeah.

Don't try to sell until you have done some buying. I'd suggest packaging materials like poly or bubble envelopes. Buy from Canada, from the USA and from China to get a picture of what your buyers face. Also this will build your feedback which protects you from the worst scammers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I believe you have to have a certain # of transactions and feedback prior to being able to open a store.

Also keep in mind that as a "newbie" to ebay you will have limits on the quantity of items you can list and selling amounts...and Paypal will also hold funds for a longer period prior to releasing them to you.

It takes time and patience to sell on ebay and lots of learning...but lots of fun.

As a Canadian seller your able to determine where you wish to ship. Canada - USA - International and can also choose those that you do not wish to ship to. Depends on the item you are shipping in regards to size & weight for which Canada Post shipping service is available for the parcel. For higher value items, I strongly suggest shipping in a manner where tracking is available.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 4
latest reply