Can I create two listings for the same item?

Here is the thing, I have listed a laptop as an auction style listing with a Buy it now option. Someone placed a bid and the Buy it now option is gone, as it is supposed to, but another bidder is asking me if I would create another listing with a Buy it now option for the same item. Is that even allowed? I understand you can't create duplicate listings with fixed price, but one listing as an auction and the other with a Fixed price for the same item, has anyone ever done that?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

You have 82 feedback as a seller over the years, but in the past 12 months only five , which means you are considered a new or occasional seller (in spite of your years here) and as such you are a target for scammers in your high value/high fraud category.

Since your auction has already been open for a few hours, what is the customer's hurry?

If he bids, he (let's call him #3) may get the laptop for less than your Buy It Now, while the fact that you have at least two interested customers says that you may have more yet.

And you don't know what your current bidders' maximums are, only that they have bid.

I would politely encourage the new guy to bid.

This will expose the bid of your other bidder.

So if Bidder #1 had bid $920 and Bidder #2 (the newbie) had bid $1500-- you would still only see #2's bid as $930.

If #3 bids only $950 then #2's bid rises to $960. And #3 is the underbidder.

If he uses a BIN at $950, you are leaving money on the table.

As it is, in one day the price has soared from $4.99 (wow, you live on the edge, eh?) to $930.

Let a few other customers have a crack at it.

In any case, when your winner pays, you will be waiting 21 days to see the money, due the the Paypal Hold for Buyer Protection.

I'd suggest that you take a deep breath and cross all your fingers and toes, then politely tell #3 to bid, assuring him that you will be shipping promptly on payment by tracked, Signature Confirmed and insured ExpressPost.

Because, and you don't tell him this, if he needs it faster than about 10 days including auction and shipping, he could buy a secondhand laptop locally tomorrow. For less.

Politely.   -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sorry the Reply is actually Answer and it on the original question when you are on the Answer Boards.

and I didn't see any options for specifying shipping options such as signature and insurance.

You choose the service. Canada Post services either have those additions or not.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

And with fewer than 50 listings you are losing money by having a Store.

http://www.fees.ebay.ca/feeweb/feeillustrator

(Use Reply on new posts. The Comments are basically invisible.)