Can a buyer take action outside of agreed upon Refund window?

I have a buyer requesting a refund outside of the normal eBay return process.

The complaint is as follows:

"Unfortunately, this card does not work, or at least doesn't work with my machine. I will have to return it. I will pay the shipping back. Please let me know you'd like to arrange ths."

The product is a working tested product that was insured during shipment, it's not an issue with description, but buyer is not sure it's compatible with their equipment. I offered a 14 day return from time of delivery. It's now nearly 18 days after. If it was damaged during shipment it's too late to make a claim and I kept the funds until the return window closed, I have since used the funds.

Can the buyer take any action against me?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Can a buyer take action outside of agreed upon Refund window?

While you can decline to accept returns, if you take Paypal you make refunds.

So you may as well be gracious.

The buyer is being very polite and pleasant about an unusable (to her) item.

When the item turns up, let the customer know, thank her for her prompt return and good packaging, refund her original payment and relist the item.

You can also at that time ask the buyer to agree to a Mutual Cancellation,which will get your fees back, if she agrees or ignores the request.

Not every transaction will be smooth. It's business not personal.

I use the 14 day returns too, but mostly because

a) eBay gives sellers who do allow returns a fractionally higher placement in Search

b) refusing returns turns off good but nervous buyers

c) it marginally discourages scatty buyers who are not sure whether they are happy or not.

d) most of my products are used. They're not going to get less used by being returned.

Never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 2
latest reply