Do you know a reputable online business where I can get a valuation for my pottery vase?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do you know a reputable online business where I can get a valuation for my pottery vase?

So you think a useful appraisal can be made from a photograph?

No, you may be able to find someone who can give you an idea of what the item actually is. He may even be able to tell you if what you have is possibly a forgery.

He can tell you what to look for.

But without seeing and examining the piece-- whatever it is-- you cannot get a useful appraisal.

Your best bet is to take it to a local dealer, or ask a local dealer for the name of a respected appraiser. Make an appointment for an insurance appraisal.

This tells the appraisal that you are not selling the item.

Turn up for the appointment. Most appraisers will ask you to stay during the appraisal. This is for his protection not yours.

Expect to get a written appraisal on letterhead.

Expect to pay for the appraisal. (We charged $50 minimum, or $25 an hour, or a percentage of the total value, but we usually had many thousands of items to appraise.)( Postage stamp estates.)

An insurance appraisal is the REPLACEMENT value of the item.

An estate appraisal is the value at public auction. This will be lower. It allows the heirs the choice of splitting up momentoes without arguing that the Royal Doulton figurines that Fred got are more valuable than the silverplated golf tees that Trudy wants.

A cash appraisal is how much the dealer is willing to pay right now. It is the lowest of these, because he needs to make a profit and also knows how long he will hold the item before he makes that profit.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

So you think a useful appraisal can be made from a photograph?

No, you may be able to find someone who can give you an idea of what the item actually is. He may even be able to tell you if what you have is possibly a forgery.

He can tell you what to look for.

But without seeing and examining the piece-- whatever it is-- you cannot get a useful appraisal.

Your best bet is to take it to a local dealer, or ask a local dealer for the name of a respected appraiser. Make an appointment for an insurance appraisal.

This tells the appraisal that you are not selling the item.

Turn up for the appointment. Most appraisers will ask you to stay during the appraisal. This is for his protection not yours.

Expect to get a written appraisal on letterhead.

Expect to pay for the appraisal. (We charged $50 minimum, or $25 an hour, or a percentage of the total value, but we usually had many thousands of items to appraise.)( Postage stamp estates.)

An insurance appraisal is the REPLACEMENT value of the item.

An estate appraisal is the value at public auction. This will be lower. It allows the heirs the choice of splitting up momentoes without arguing that the Royal Doulton figurines that Fred got are more valuable than the silverplated golf tees that Trudy wants.

A cash appraisal is how much the dealer is willing to pay right now. It is the lowest of these, because he needs to make a profit and also knows how long he will hold the item before he makes that profit.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply