Hi,have a buyer who wants items marked as sold/hold before they purchase them,is there a way ?

Buyer wants items put on hold,can you do that when you revise auctuins?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi,have a buyer who wants items marked as sold/hold before they purchase them,is there a way ?

If it's an auction, tell the buyer to place a bid. If it's a buy-it-now, tell them to buy it and defer payment a few days BUT let me say that I have found that many bidders who ask for items to be 'set aside' for an unspecified date, don't return to claim them.

If you feel, however, that this potential bidder is earnest in his or her intentions, you can revise the listing title to reflect it is 'on hold for the buyer ID' and mention that in the item description too. With this method, you run the risk of someone else coming along and bidding regardless but it's never happened to me. 

If the listing is an auction with bids, however, you'd have to go through a whole other process with cancelling other buyers' bids. I wold really think twice before doing that. Whatever you do, don't try to conduct the transaction outside of ebay. You'll both get into trouble for this. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

This is what credit cards are for.

Your 'customer' could buy immediately on his card and pay at his leisure. You get the money immediately.

So any excuse that he has no money today is irrelevant. He pays when he has the money. The card may charge him interest, but that is their business.

If he doesn't have a credit card, he is a very poor risk.

Either because he has so little possibility of income that even the most easy to obtain card (like a WalMart MasterCard) won't accept him or because he is determined not to deal with the modern world in any way.

Neither is a recommendation, is it?

I agree with mjwl.

Tell him to bid if he wants the item.

You can if you wish, allow him a few extra days to pay over the four days after purchase that eBay allows.

He can also suggest payment by cash (tricky but good for you) by personal cheque (no way!) or money order (International Postal Money Orders (USPS ones are mostly pink NOT green)  can be cashed at no charge at your local PO. These all take time to arrive. Do not ship until the MO has cleared.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Also, if I may, I've noticed that you sell some of the same types of items that I do and I can tell you that right now I have 25 unpaid items from one gentleman who asked them to be 'set aside' in much the same manner exactly a week ago. (Buyer is relatively new to ebay.) The same buyer also asked for a very large custom bundle to replace those ones he bought one at a time. Buyer has since indicated he now can't afford to do this and you may infer from that whatever you like. 

In short, I would proceed cautiously with this type of request if I were you. If you have plenty of time on your hands and a good feeling about it, then by all means proceed. If not..... well....

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

BTW did you know you do not have Shipping specified to Canada or the UK which are two of the three countries you say you will ship to.

Are you using Calculated Shipping? This would give your buyer an immediate notice of the cost of shipping to her doorstep.

You need to put in dimensions and weight of the shipping parcel and USE METRIC measurements. In my opinion, those who have had difficulty with Calculated Shipping have not noticed that Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other measurement is inaccurate.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply