I am new to selling on ebay.

I am a newbie to ebay.  I have some items to sell and would appreciate any feedback on how to get started.  Things i should or should not do.  I want to feel safe and to feel this is a safe and secure way to do it.  

which is the best way for payment (paypal or credit card).

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

Susan

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

A few suggestions:

Sell to Canada/USA for your first listings. After some sales, then consider the wider world (UK, Europe, Japan, Australia).

Check eBay for other listings of the items you want to sell, to see how they do it and to see whether it is worth selling online -- there's lot of stuff that is not.

Shipping:

* Got measuring device and scales?  Starfrit scale at Canadian Tire for weights under 5kg is a good value when on sale.

* Get Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business card which can give you online discounts and smaller discounts over-the-counter. It also allows you to use Expedited Parcel for the same price as Regular parcel but with $100 insurance included and guaranteed* delivery times in Canada (* or your money back).

* If your package is going to be more than 2cm thick or weigh more than 500g then use eBay's calculated shipping since Canada Post parcel shipping can vary a big amount depending on where it gets shipped to.

Small, less valuable stuff can use oversize lettermail, since it goes anywhere in Canada for one flat rate.

up to 5mm thick
000-030g .. 0.85
031-050g .. 1.20

up to 2 cm thick
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

which is the best way for payment (paypal or credit card).

Unless you already have a merchant account with Moneris or another card processor, you will be going with Paypal.

Costs are 30 cents per transaction PLUS 2.9% of the total customer payment.

You have 80 keystrokes Free in your title. This is your best advertising.

When you upload your listings, look at each on a mobile device.

Then go back and revise, revise, revise, untill the important information comes up quick and clean.

Shipping..... All the gods on Olympus and in Asgard cannot help you. Take your time and play with this.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You have to buy more than a few things from various parts of the world on ebay before you will succeed selling here. Otherwise, you are not understanding your competition nor how the site works from the perspective of a buyer. 

Do you have an account already? If so, use that one to sell. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply