why do ebay fees have to be so high?

Ebay fees are too high. Then, when and if you do sell something (I accept only Paypal), Paypal also charges fees. This is getting crazy. Too many fees have spoiled the site for me. I think I'm done. I am letting my ads run out and then I am not going to relist or put any more ads on the site. Best of luck everyone.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Well, your fees are going to run you about 20% of the price of your items.There are fees on listing, on shipping and on Paypal payments. There are also non-refundable fees on Reserves, Templates, Sub-Titles and other options.

This has to be factored into your pricing.

There are some discounts for Stores and for Top Rated Sellers.

In addition, you get 50 Free Auction Listings a month on eBaydotCA, and also on eBaydotCOM, although you have to think about how you set up shipping there.

There are free sub-titles on ebay.ca.fr. You don't have to list in French, but using the Sell Your Item form may be a challenge if you can't read French.

You've alreadly figured out that domestic  Free Shipping takes the shipping FVF down to zero, no matter where you are shipping.

If you also use Paypal shipping , you get from 5% to 18% off the price of postage from the PO counter.

There are cheaper sites. Most of the general ones, like Bonanza and eCrater, have very little traffic. On Bonanza I was selling half a dozen items a year, compared to daily sales here.

There are hobby sites. Our B&M does well on a couple of those-- I have no idea what sites are available to comic collectors, but it would be worth looking.

But eBay charges reflect their ability to bring you eyeballs and sales. It's up to us as sellers to tweak our prices and business practices to be successful.

BTW- As co-owner of a retail store, eBay is dead cheap. Our overhead is about $1000 a day. And Moneris charges are about the same as Paypal charges.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Minor point. Apparently you only ship to CANADA.

If you are not interested in the US market, which is nearly 10 times the size of ours, you can also list in Canadian dollars.

If you are interested in US sales, you should add the cost of shipping for there. Given that you are selling larger lots, I would suggest using Calculated Shipping for this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Well, your fees are going to run you about 20% of the price of your items.There are fees on listing, on shipping and on Paypal payments. There are also non-refundable fees on Reserves, Templates, Sub-Titles and other options.

This has to be factored into your pricing.

There are some discounts for Stores and for Top Rated Sellers.

In addition, you get 50 Free Auction Listings a month on eBaydotCA, and also on eBaydotCOM, although you have to think about how you set up shipping there.

There are free sub-titles on ebay.ca.fr. You don't have to list in French, but using the Sell Your Item form may be a challenge if you can't read French.

You've alreadly figured out that domestic  Free Shipping takes the shipping FVF down to zero, no matter where you are shipping.

If you also use Paypal shipping , you get from 5% to 18% off the price of postage from the PO counter.

There are cheaper sites. Most of the general ones, like Bonanza and eCrater, have very little traffic. On Bonanza I was selling half a dozen items a year, compared to daily sales here.

There are hobby sites. Our B&M does well on a couple of those-- I have no idea what sites are available to comic collectors, but it would be worth looking.

But eBay charges reflect their ability to bring you eyeballs and sales. It's up to us as sellers to tweak our prices and business practices to be successful.

BTW- As co-owner of a retail store, eBay is dead cheap. Our overhead is about $1000 a day. And Moneris charges are about the same as Paypal charges.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Minor point. Apparently you only ship to CANADA.

If you are not interested in the US market, which is nearly 10 times the size of ours, you can also list in Canadian dollars.

If you are interested in US sales, you should add the cost of shipping for there. Given that you are selling larger lots, I would suggest using Calculated Shipping for this.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Well I find the seller fee's to be insane.

I am done using eBay for selling.

Hit with charges from eBay, Hit with charges from PayPal.

Every item that sold they took money right away then they take a lot more per month

EBay is taking sellers for a ride imo.

Would have been cheaper to list a ad in newspapers in 10 cities.

Or list on kijiji for free if in Canada.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply