ANOTHER SELLER IS STEALING MY TITLE AND DESCRIPTION

I've noticed this throughout the years and thought I'd ask sellers here what they thought about another seller stealing someone else's titles and descriptions.

There's a seller in the USA using my title and partial description from a Madonna Press Kit I sold in February.

item #  122516172214.

I guess it's a form of flattery but there's also a unscrupulous element to it also.... the ad is also somewhat deceiving, they mention what my Press Kit sold for but fail to disclose that mine had the original debut album with a "promotional purposes only" disclaimer stamped on it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When another member uses Sell Similar or Sell One Yourself or Sell One Like this, ebay automatically copies the Title and Product Category and Item Specifics so there's nothing you can do about that, it's encouraged by ebay.

As to Item Description, copying that verbatim is a no-no. If it were me (and it has been dozens of times) I would contact the other member and make a stink about 'intellectual property' being yours as part of your item description and cite plagiarism et cetera.

I had a big fit about your issue once when I was the first seller to list a hotly-anticipated item and wrote a great title and completed all the Item Description criteria as well as customized it to be explicit and perfect and some slob came along and used all my 20 minutes of work crafting it in 20 seconds or less. And then undercut me on price because they could afford to do so, as they had invested no actual time in listing it.

Next will come your images too. And mine. All of ours. Now that ebay claims all of our photographs now belong to their Product Catalogue.

To circumvent theft from lazy sellers, I started dropping easter eggs into my text and Item Specifics. 

The dumb ones won't notice. The smart ones might and then think twice.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's funny because I've just started to notice this as well with some of my listings.   It did make me frustrated a little bit because I was the one who came up with the catch title or the clever way of presenting my listing but then I gained some piece of mind in knowing that if someone is cutting corners/being lazy chances are they are going to cut corners/be lazy in other aspects of their on line selling, ie slow shipping, poor customer service, bad photos etc.  My motto is Let Karma take care of them and Karma will then take care of you.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I believe there is some sort of Sell One Like This thingy that eBay shows when sellers look at items similar to those they are researching.

I'm unclear because most of my stuff is close to unique- if only through being rode hard and put away wet-- so I rarely even try to see what other items are out there.

If someone is naive (to be kind) or lazy (to be accurate) enough to grab the closest match, this is what can happen.

At least it was something that had already sold and not a live listing. Sigh.

Did you send a polite note telling him that when he steals photos and descriptions it makes the Baby Jesus cry?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I don't know if it was listed when mine was active, I wasn't looking at the time, but it does say the exact same press kit sold for 750.00 (past tense phrasing).

But of course the listing could have been revised or modified after mine sold.

LOL, I won't contact the person.

I don't mind other sellers using my listings as reference for theirs but to blatantly copy and paste the exact title and partial description (or sell a similar item) is little annoying!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

When another member uses Sell Similar or Sell One Yourself or Sell One Like this, ebay automatically copies the Title and Product Category and Item Specifics so there's nothing you can do about that, it's encouraged by ebay.

As to Item Description, copying that verbatim is a no-no. If it were me (and it has been dozens of times) I would contact the other member and make a stink about 'intellectual property' being yours as part of your item description and cite plagiarism et cetera.

I had a big fit about your issue once when I was the first seller to list a hotly-anticipated item and wrote a great title and completed all the Item Description criteria as well as customized it to be explicit and perfect and some slob came along and used all my 20 minutes of work crafting it in 20 seconds or less. And then undercut me on price because they could afford to do so, as they had invested no actual time in listing it.

Next will come your images too. And mine. All of ours. Now that ebay claims all of our photographs now belong to their Product Catalogue.

To circumvent theft from lazy sellers, I started dropping easter eggs into my text and Item Specifics. 

The dumb ones won't notice. The smart ones might and then think twice.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply