Boy has eBay ever changed and not for the better.

I was on eBay a few years ago but my wife had Alzheimers Dementia and passed away 2.5 years ago. When I was on before I was on both .com and. ca as it doubled my free listings. I am coming back on and when I try to list in the USA it is impossible to calculate the shipping. Any tips on the best way or am I best to be on .ca only?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've been on eBay since 2001 with one ID or another, and we never could Calculate Shipping on dotCOM from Canada. DotCOM only allows Calculated Shipping from USPS (and some couriers). Unless you are near the border, that's no go.

If your items are consistent in size and weight, you could use dotCOM with Flat Rate Shipping, with the proviso that if you need Parcel Rates in Canada, keep in mind that distance also comes into it.

On consistent packages you could also try using Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free Shipping just means adding the (consistent) shipping charge to your asking price.

Which is cheapest?

A $5 item with $10 Shipping.

A $10 item withe $5 Shipping.

A $15 item with Free Shipping.

Not only do buyers loooooove Free Shipping, but eBay gives you an automatic 5 Stars for Shipping Cost in your DSRs which will be very important until February.

Because most parcel rates from Canada to the USA are pretty consistent, you could offer Free Shipping on dotCOM to US destinations, then Calculated Shipping on dotCOM to Canada and overseas.

On dotCA you can make US shipping Free Shipping, if your cost allows, by putting the US Flat Rate Shipping at $0.00.

You can still double your free listings by using both dot CA and dotCOM.

Were you around the last time when the loonie was this low? Again depending on what you are selling, your Canada Post rates are now 25-30% lower in US dollars than they were at this time last year.

Although eBay is encouraging us to list in Canadian dollars, I haven't seen any good reason to yet.

USPS postal rates have risen and they no longer offer overseas Surface shipping. This makes Canada Post rates seem a little more reasonable. For a given value of 'reasonable'.

Two other notes:

When you set up your listings, look at them on a mobile device and be ready to do some heavy editing. More than half of transactions these days involve phones apparently. Information may be lost and you will bear the brunt.

And your customers' cleared payments are going to be Held by Paypal for 21 days. This is nothing personal, it's a Buyer Protection policy.

You can phone eBay after 30 days and ask for an upgrade on this-- dropping the Hold or allowing more or higher valued listings.

Best wishes for your return to eBay.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I've been on eBay since 2001 with one ID or another, and we never could Calculate Shipping on dotCOM from Canada. DotCOM only allows Calculated Shipping from USPS (and some couriers). Unless you are near the border, that's no go.

If your items are consistent in size and weight, you could use dotCOM with Flat Rate Shipping, with the proviso that if you need Parcel Rates in Canada, keep in mind that distance also comes into it.

On consistent packages you could also try using Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free Shipping just means adding the (consistent) shipping charge to your asking price.

Which is cheapest?

A $5 item with $10 Shipping.

A $10 item withe $5 Shipping.

A $15 item with Free Shipping.

Not only do buyers loooooove Free Shipping, but eBay gives you an automatic 5 Stars for Shipping Cost in your DSRs which will be very important until February.

Because most parcel rates from Canada to the USA are pretty consistent, you could offer Free Shipping on dotCOM to US destinations, then Calculated Shipping on dotCOM to Canada and overseas.

On dotCA you can make US shipping Free Shipping, if your cost allows, by putting the US Flat Rate Shipping at $0.00.

You can still double your free listings by using both dot CA and dotCOM.

Were you around the last time when the loonie was this low? Again depending on what you are selling, your Canada Post rates are now 25-30% lower in US dollars than they were at this time last year.

Although eBay is encouraging us to list in Canadian dollars, I haven't seen any good reason to yet.

USPS postal rates have risen and they no longer offer overseas Surface shipping. This makes Canada Post rates seem a little more reasonable. For a given value of 'reasonable'.

Two other notes:

When you set up your listings, look at them on a mobile device and be ready to do some heavy editing. More than half of transactions these days involve phones apparently. Information may be lost and you will bear the brunt.

And your customers' cleared payments are going to be Held by Paypal for 21 days. This is nothing personal, it's a Buyer Protection policy.

You can phone eBay after 30 days and ask for an upgrade on this-- dropping the Hold or allowing more or higher valued listings.

Best wishes for your return to eBay.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

femmefan1946 you are still around! Those are excellent points especially about mobile devices. Have times ever changed!
thank you!
Dean in Red Deer, AB
Message 3 of 3
latest reply