Can I leave negative feedback for a buyer who bought and abused the eBay money back guarantee policy

I hd a buyer buy a very expensive item and then use it and return it weeks later. Was told by eBay they allow this under the Ebay money back guarantee policy even though we have a clear NO RETURN policy I was forced to take back a USED item and now cannot sell it of course. Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Can I leave negative feedback for a buyer who bought and abused the eBay money back guarantee policy

You can not leave a negative (it's been that way for years).

You can block the buyer.

If the buyer left you feedback, you can add comments to that feedback, but stick to the facts -- let feedback readers draw their own conclusions.

eBay also has the "Report this buyer" link for the transaction, but I'm not certain that will be of much use.

-..-

Alternatively, for frustration relief: go to a gym that has a punching bag, attach a buyer name, and punch away. You'll probably be more satisfied doing that, than with any of the choices available from eBay.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hello 'caroline', 

<< I hd a buyer buy a very expensive item and then use it and return it .... Was told by eBay they allow this... >>

You mean to say you used the Help & Contact link at the top of the page here and the person to whom you spoke actually said "Yes, buyers can use a new item and then return it for a full refund"?  

<< we have a clear NO RETURN policy>>

There is no such thing as "a clear NO RETURN policy".  If you insist you do not accept returns, ebay may decide that means you don't want the item back and refund the buyer without her having to return it.  

As the saying goes, if you sell on ebay you make refunds.  Whether or not you want your items returned is up to you.  

<< I was forced to take back a USED item and now cannot sell it of course. >>

Well, if nothing else, you can resell it as "used" but that is hardly a consolation.  Have you called ebay and tried to have the decision overturned?  

Some sellers have been able to do this.  You need to have photos indicating that the item was clearly used and returned in a condition demonstrably not the way it was sent.  Did you include such photos in your response to the buyer's claim?

<< Has anyone else had this problem?>>

Just about everyone who sells on ebay, sooner or later.  You can try to call ebay and produce evidence that the item was sent as "New" but returned in a clearly 'used' condition.  Occasionally ebay has reversed their decision.  

No good hollering about your "no return" policy, -- ebay will not entertain the possibility that a seller can send an item and tell a buyer "tough luck" if she doesn't like it.  If you sell on ebay you take returns, . . . or at least you make refunds.  

Otherwise, I think you'll find the suggestion by 'dennis' of going to the gym and lacing on a pair of gloves will provide the most satisfying relief. Smiley Happy  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"we have a clear NO RETURN policy"

No you don't, because eBay accepts returns and so do you until you're blue in the face.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I was forced to take back a USED item and now cannot sell it of course.

Of course you can sell it as Used. There are 57 used McQueen bags on eBay right now, priced from $132 CDN to $4,500CDN.

You may not make as much on it as when it was sold as New, but it is not unsaleable.

As others have said, No Returns does not mean No Refunds. It is best to drop that specification. As you have learned, it cannot be enforced.

And you don't know how many customers backbuttoned because of a mixture of the negative policy and your low feedback.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I can understand how furious and disappointed you must be if this is about one of the pricey designer purses that recently sold.

Your best bet is to call ebay and ask for an appeal on their ruling, explaining you did not get your item back in the same condition it was sent, and that it is is in unsaleable condition. Provide photos. 

Now, my best advice for you is worse news: with your high-value items and limited selling experience, you are a magnet for the less-than-scrupulous buyers out there who will see you as someone with which to try their shenanigans because you might not know better. Do you know anyone else with more selling experience on ebay? Someone very much trusted, within your close circle of friends of family? It's better to start small with seeing here and ramp up to the high-value items like you've listed in the recent past.

Ebay encourages everyone here to sell right off the bat and although you have a very decent amount of experience as a buyer (which is important) it's overall feedback as a seller too that will scare away some of the people who might seek to take advantage of the site policies with you. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

How about using it for an audition, not getting the part and then running over the parcel with your buddies truck? Send the photos to the seller (me) and open a case - Item not as described.

Heck yes it is NOT AS described  - a stunning beautiful wooden clarinet bell (worth about $400USD) smashed to about 12 pieces.

I find it REALLY hard to believe a postal worker would deliver this parcel - really hard!!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Oh my. You are correct. I also find it hard to believe they would deliver it too. Of course, it is their job to deliver stuff, so what else could they do with it?
Too bad it was such an expensive itemSmiley Frustrated
Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Hello 'pacificwinds',
You are right, the postal worker would not deliver it AS IS, -- it would come in a plastic 'apology bag' from the post office with an explanation about how sorry they (post office people) are, and so on. The evidence of that plastic bag could be used for an insurance claim, -- along with the rest of the pieces.

Without that 'apology bag', the item did NOT arrive to the buyer like this, as indicated by the clear tire track on the parcel. I hope you are explaining all this to ebay as you contest the case.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Very unfortunate to have something returned used or abused when it is a new item,,i hve some horror stories i have seen on this case or similar to it,not to sure how often this happens to sellers but once is too many maybe there should be a policy in place to protect good sellers from that kind of abuse,maybe a restocking fee of 35 percent would be a deterent????
Message 10 of 10
latest reply