Can I show an item condition as new without tags if I own item but have never used it?

I collect knives and leave them in the original box. Only show them to friends. They are not used in any work-like fashion. Can I list them as new without tags or do they have to be listed as preowned? If preowned, how do I mitigate the "used" stigma?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can I show an item condition as new without tags if I own item but have never used it?

Hello 'first_class....',

Stigma?  Practically everything on ebay is "pre-loved" to some degree.  And when it comes to antique furniture, that 'use' becomes 'patina' and that is not only thought to be desirable but carries no "stigma" at all.

No one here has seen your items and would thus have difficulty in telling you exactly how to list them.  I would urge caution with the word "New" because unless the items are truly indistinguishable from brand new on a shop shelf, calling something 'new' that shows wear can be irksome to buyers.

I suppose that is why so many sellers list items like this as "Used . . . Like New", or "Used . . .  Excellent Condition".  If people receive an item that is in better shape than the expected, they tend to be delighted.  If they believe they are buying a 'new' item they may be very prickly about one which shows even minor shelf wear.  I suggest playing it safe wherever possible.

On ebay, "used" carries no stigma.  

Here is a link you might like to have a look at telling you ebay's position on how to describe your items:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/providing_item_condition.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hello 'first_class....',

Stigma?  Practically everything on ebay is "pre-loved" to some degree.  And when it comes to antique furniture, that 'use' becomes 'patina' and that is not only thought to be desirable but carries no "stigma" at all.

No one here has seen your items and would thus have difficulty in telling you exactly how to list them.  I would urge caution with the word "New" because unless the items are truly indistinguishable from brand new on a shop shelf, calling something 'new' that shows wear can be irksome to buyers.

I suppose that is why so many sellers list items like this as "Used . . . Like New", or "Used . . .  Excellent Condition".  If people receive an item that is in better shape than the expected, they tend to be delighted.  If they believe they are buying a 'new' item they may be very prickly about one which shows even minor shelf wear.  I suggest playing it safe wherever possible.

On ebay, "used" carries no stigma.  

Here is a link you might like to have a look at telling you ebay's position on how to describe your items:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/providing_item_condition.html

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

When you bought them, was the box covered in cellophane? And did you remove the cellophane?

That's like driving the car off the dealer's lot.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks, your comments clarified this from the buyers perspective. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply