Do I need a US address to sell on Ebay.com

Was interested in trying some of my listings on Ebay.com to see if there was any difference in sell through and visibility. Was just about to but while on Ebay.com I sold an item from my Ebay.ca side. I decided to try and print my label on Ebay.com as I was already on that site and it told me I needed a US address to print my label? Kind of weird as I see lots of Canadians selling on E-bay.com. But this made me a little worried to list my new item on Ebay.com as I may have issues shipping the item to my customer.

In short, would like to ask anyone who is experienced on Ebay.com, do I need a US address to print my labels? Any additional tips to listing on the .com side would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@bigt69694321 wrote:

In short, would like to ask anyone who is experienced on Ebay.com, do I need a US address to print my labels? Any additional tips to listing on the .com side would be appreciated as well.

No US address needed. Print your shipping label directly from paypal (eBay.ca should also work -- but I haven't tested the recent change -- https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/01/16/7939/ will have for .com sales. At this point, other than the ability to print from eBay.ca -- directly from paypal still works).

eBay.com assumes you are shipping with the USPS rather than Canada Post.

Listing on ebay.COM (and shipping from Canada)* means you will be using flat rate (rather than calculated shipping). Shipping choices:

To the USA
  Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
  Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
  Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.:

(*) If you are in a nearby location you can have a cross-border shipper (for a small fee) take your parcel across the border (max value of $800) and have it reshipped at USPS rates using domestic rates (very cheap inside the USA).

Those I know of: chitchatsexpress (Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax), stallionexpress (Toronto), dykpost (Alberta), runninred (Winnipeg)

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@bigt69694321 wrote:

No US address needed. Print your shipping label directly from paypal (eBay.ca should also work -- but I haven't tested the recent change -- https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/01/16/7939/ will have for .com sales. At this point, other than the ability to print from eBay.ca -- directly from paypal still works).

eBay.com assumes you are shipping with the USPS rather than Canada Post.

Listing on ebay.COM (and shipping from Canada)* means you will be using flat rate (rather than calculated shipping). Shipping choices:

To the USA
  Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
  Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
  Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.:

(*) If you are in a nearby location you can have a cross-border shipper (for a small fee) take your parcel across the border (max value of $800) and have it reshipped at USPS rates using domestic rates (very cheap inside the USA).

Those I know of: chitchatsexpress (Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax), stallionexpress (Toronto), dykpost (Alberta), runninred (Winnipeg)

-..-

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you are listing on eBaydotCOM you should have already noticed that you can only use Flat Rate shipping.

And that dotCOM is only set up to support USPS shipping, which is not available to Canadians.

As dennis says, you can print your labels directly from Paypal.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Would the Canada Post discounts still count on shipping as they do on Ebay.ca?
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No, you don't need a US address - you print your labels while signed in to .ca.  I list  on both .ca and .com, and I work from Selling Manager on .ca to look after everything to do with sales.  I printed a US label yesterday from Selling Manager, and it took me to PayPal.  It still works seamlessly with most information pre-filled, and the relevant discounts available.

I see you use Small Packets Air for your US shipping.  "ypdc_dennis" posted the following info on another thread - Canada Post is now offering small discounts on Small Packets if you buy directly from the CP site using your Solutions for Small Business card (free)

Small Packet USA
000-250g ..  8.61 vs 8.49  -- save 12 cents
251-500g .. 11.29 vs 11.15 -- save 14 cents
501g-1kg .. 16.82 vs 16.60 -- save 22 cents

Here is  the link to the discussion:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-Rates-2017/td-p/361668/page/3

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Would the Canada Post discounts still count on shipping as they do on Ebay.ca?

Yes.
You are buying Canadian postage after all.

You can get up to 18% off PO counter prices on some services.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply