False Damage Claim

This buyer has filed a return claiming that the stone in the fashion ring is not there. I am a 1 person outfit and I triple packed the ring myself.  First in bubble wrap, then into a small bag, then taped the bag to the inside the packing slip. She sent a pic with the ring and no stone in it, however, you can see that someone pried the claws to get the stone out. What can I do now?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

False Damage Claim

And do it before she opens an eBay case about it.

The damage done to your seller account is much more expensive than any money lost on the item and shipping.

You may find this trick helpful on such claims.

Because the lower the price, the more obnoxious the customer (bottom feeders and cherry pickers) is likely to be, raise the price and offer Free Shipping.

Which is cheaper?

A $1 ring with $7 shipping?

A $7 ring with $1 shipping?

A $8 ring with Free Shipping?

And actually I would suggest your price be $9.99 with Free Shipping. That gives you a cushion -- or an insurance premium to go in your Cookie Jar Insurance for problems just like this. To say nothing of your labour in 'triple packing" at 17 cents a minute (BC minimum wage).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

False Damage Claim

Did the whole thing ship in an envelope, padded or otherwise? Or in a small box? If it was the former, it is possible your ring was somehow crushed in transit.

To be honest, there is very little you can do but refund the buyer, and apologize profusely. You don't want bad feedback to make this whole situation worse for you. 

It is entirely possible the ring was damaged on purpose (or even accidentally after it was received in good condition) but you have no way whatsoever to prove that.

After feedback is left, block the buyer for being a high-risk, and Report just in case.

It is unfortunate, to be certain. If you think it was damaged while in the care of the post office, you might be able to open a claim. If it was insured. And it is the sort of jewelry that is insurable. This is not my area of expertise but some third-party insurers, for example, don't insure precious metal jewelry against theft. This might be a tricky claim to make. 

I'm sure other members will be around in short order to give you other advice too. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

False Damage Claim

If its that pink one that sold for 99 cents, just Refund, Report, and Block.   Be nice and hope for good feedback at least.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

False Damage Claim

And do it before she opens an eBay case about it.

The damage done to your seller account is much more expensive than any money lost on the item and shipping.

You may find this trick helpful on such claims.

Because the lower the price, the more obnoxious the customer (bottom feeders and cherry pickers) is likely to be, raise the price and offer Free Shipping.

Which is cheaper?

A $1 ring with $7 shipping?

A $7 ring with $1 shipping?

A $8 ring with Free Shipping?

And actually I would suggest your price be $9.99 with Free Shipping. That gives you a cushion -- or an insurance premium to go in your Cookie Jar Insurance for problems just like this. To say nothing of your labour in 'triple packing" at 17 cents a minute (BC minimum wage).

Message 4 of 4
latest reply