How a seller can protect himself against buyer replacing an item received with a less valuable item?

How a seller can protect himself against buyer replacing an item received with a less valuable item and then claiming a refund?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

How a seller can protect himself against buyer replacing an item received with a less valuable item?

You cannot. What you can do is file a police report for mail fraud in your local detachment and then take that report to ebay and/or paypal as evidence in your side of the matter. And then you hope for the best.

In my opinion, this is the number one risk of online sales.

What are you worried about selling and having it be replaced with a Return of lesser value?

Is this a general inquiry or something happening to you right now.

There are some steps you can take ahead of time as a seller to lessen your risk. Is that what you're looking for?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yes, this is what already has happened to me. I sent the items by registered mail and they could not claim they haven't received it. So they claimed it is not as described and sent the pictures of other items which are ten or more times worth less to eBay claiming this is what they received.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

That's dreadful. Your recourse is to report it as mail fraud/theft to police and Canada Post. Use that in your defense to eBay and/or PayPal. Good luck.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply