How do you leave negative feedback when you are a seller? I have had some really bad buyers lately.

I've had a few mean ebayers saying rude things on ebay over the last few days and was wondering how you leave negative feedback for them?  Seems they can leave negative feedback for buyers whenever they want. but when the buyer wants to leave negative feedback there is no option for it.  So, how do other sellers know in the future that a buyer never pays or is rude if you can't leave negative feedback?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

How do you leave negative feedback when you are a seller? I have had some really bad buyers lately.

You can't leave neutral or negative for buyers. eBay stopped that a long time ago. But you can Reply to Feedback Received. Go to the Site Map at the bottom of this page & click on Reply to Feedback Received. You can at least make a comment to what the buyer said.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

that a buyer never pays

You can open an Unpaid Item Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page after four days (96hours) and close it if the item remains unpaid 96 hours later.

You get your Final Value Fees back and the deadbeat gets a Strike against his buying account.

You should also go to your Seller Preferences and opt for an automatic Block against deadbeats with Strikes. (There are a few other optional Blocks to consider there.)

The deadbeat will also be unable to leave feedback of any sort.

or is rude if you can't leave negative feedback?

Well, you can leave a Response to any feedback, your own or the buyer's. The most effective Response, like the most effective feedback, is calm, professional and factual.

So, how do other sellers know in the future

What makes you think sellers read bidder feedback?

Some 85% of listings are Fixed Price. The seller doesn't meet her buyer until he buys.

In the dwindling number of Auctions, many if not most sellers use the Buy It Now option. Again, that seller doesn't meet her buyer until he buys. 

So who does read feedback?

Buyers should be looking at and reading feedback. And that means any feedback you leave will be read by your future customers. Do you want them to see your slanging your past customers?

Sellers, if they have the chance,  read the feedback buyers leave for sellers. Looking for telltales of bad buyers like "Thanks for the refund" or "Worked to resolve problem".  One of those? Stuff happens.  If there is a pattern? Blocked Buyer List.

In addition to the optional bidder blocks and the BBL, both buyer and seller can in a very short time period after the purchase, cancel the transaction. This can be useful if the buyer looks questionable or worse.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the input! Just to let you know, most of the rude customers just send emails at me because they are new or from a country outside Canada and the U.S. and complain about the shipping prices that canadapost.ca quotes. People shouldn't be able to click buy it now without paying for it. It causes too much hassle and annoyance to the seller.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the input! Just to let you know, most of the rude customers just send emails at me because they are new or from a country outside Canada and the U.S. and complain about the shipping prices that canadapost.ca quotes. People shouldn't be able to click buy it now without paying for it. It causes too much hassle and annoyance to the seller.

If you sell with Fixed Price, you can opt for Immediate Payment Required. The customer who doesn't pay immediately may then lose the item to a later buyer who does pay right away.
Another protection is in those Seller Preferences. You can Block bidders who do not have active Paypal accounts. Since many of these are newbies trying out the system this is quite effective.
Of course it also Blocks enthusiastic newbies who need a little coddling to get that PP account set up and on its way. If you are ever in that position, encourage the customer to add a credit card, because that means they are not constrained by the money in their bank balance today and you don't have to worry about 'e-cheques'.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Everyone hates paying shipping.

No matter how reasonable or how low.

I have learned that shipping should not be higher than asking price. At least not for North America. Actually, I usually use Free Shipping for Canada and USA*.

Can you use Letter /Light Packet to reduce shipping on those items that are under 500grams and 2cm thick?

Errrrr..... I am a cynical old woman, but are you sure you want to tell your customers that you will lose any claim of Item Not Received? That's what you are doing by saying that your North American items are not tracked.

*Don't Panic!

Free Shipping just means putting the shipping cost into the asking price for the item.

For example, on your $2.49 Plastic Man book with $6.64 shipping. Would it be less attractive to the buyer at $8.99 (or $9.25) with Free Shipping?

Remember that if you offer Free Shipping domestically, you can then offer a reduced cost for overseas shipping because you already have $6.64 of your shipping in the price of the item AND you will not be charged any shipping FVF.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That's a great idea! I've been selling on more store for a few years and have had a few instances of items being refunded. I think I'll have to take that out of all my item disclaimers (which is going to take a while lol). Also the free shipping idea would probably boost sales for a lot of my items. Thanks a lot for the input! This is actually my first time using this community chat and it's really helpful. I'm going to have to do a lot of updates, but only problem then is if people want to get more then one item I wont be able to combine shipping for them because it will all be included in the prices. I guess I could refund a bit from the sale or something.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply