How to - Account preferences to sell within Canada and the U.S.A.

I live in Canada and only want to sell within Canada and the U.S.A. How do I setup my account to only Canada and U.S.A. show for shipping destinations?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Simply put, what you have to do is go to your Account Preferences and block all countries except Canada and the USA.

Then, when listing, only set Shipping Costs for Canada and the USA.

But....

There are other things to consider. The first of which is that there is a postal strike/lockout looming in Canada. The second is that if you want to succeed at selling, it is better to start on an ebay account with at least a little feedback. Buy first, so that you have a better idea of how ebay works. And also to gauge what constitutes good service from an ebay seller versus bad service.

Also, there is a subset of bad buyers who troll for new sellers and your feedback transaction count being set to zero will identify you are a ripe plum. 

Best of luck as you carry forward.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Please also forgive me for being so bold but I looked at one of your two listings. The old book, which looks lovely, says the following at the bottom: If the item is purchased by someone in the U.S.A., please note: (1) the delivery expectation could also be longer if any delay at the border with US Customs and (2) you will be responsible for any duty/custom taxes/fees/import charges which they charge. 

This is unnecessary. The de mimumus for USA is $800 USD http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/10/7745/. By stating the above  you are merely frightening away USA buyers who may not know this. If you really only plan to ship to Canada and the USA, put this text on the bottom of only your listings priced at USD $880+ or the rough Canadian dollar equivalent which right now is about $1033 CAD. 

I have the following at the bottom of all my listings 

CROSS-BORDER SHOPPING? IT IS YOUR DUTY TO PAY DUTY. KNOW YOUR LIMITS

• International customers, please be aware fees for importing by post may apply. Duty, tariffs or import taxes when your order crosses the border are not included in your payment to us. We are not customs brokers and cannot collect duty for you upfront. Learn the rules before you bid or buy because the declared value of your item is what you paid for it

BUT this is directed at my customers in UK and Germany, Italy and France, to name a few. Like Canadians, their pre-tax/tariff/duty allowable limit is much, much lower. We are having a lively discussion about that here http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Why-The-Government-Keeps-Spoiling-Your-Online-Deals/td-p/3...

Delays at the border through Customs generally, in my experience, only happen during peak times like Christmas or if there is something funny with the paperwork. Or packaging. In order to trigger inspection. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply