I am located in Ontario and sell to Canada and US. How do I handle HST on sales?

jalane_21
Community Member

Once sales reach $30,000 CAD I am required to submit 13% HST on those sales regardless of where the buyer is; how do you handle this. I am new and appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Jalane_21

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am located in Ontario and sell to Canada and US. How do I handle HST on sales?

@jalane_21 wrote:

Once sales reach $30,000 CAD I am required to submit 13% HST on those sales regardless of where the buyer is; how do you handle this.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@jalane_21 wrote:

Once sales reach $30,000 CAD I am required to submit 13% HST on those sales regardless of where the buyer is; how do you handle this.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You'll have to sell more than 1000 items annually in the price range of the three items you have listed currently to get to the $30 000 annually point.

It's good to be so optimistic!

Until you reach that point, keep careful records, not only of your sales but also of your purchases for resale and to support your business (printer ink, tape, bubble wrap, product).

And remember that while it may be some time before you are selling $30 000 annually, that you do have to declare your profits on your eBay sales on your income tax, no matter how small they may be. If you are buying for resale, your profits (not markup) are taxable.

Paying taxes is a sign of success!

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

30 000 is a lofty goal. I hope you achieve it but I wouldn't even worry about till you see yearly sales over 25 000.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply