Item Description

I've been reading a few conflicting articles about the item information you should include in the item description. Some state you should include everything from the color, size, shipping policy, any flaw and so on. Others state you should minimize your item description to only the basics as most of the item's specifics are already mentioned when you initially set up your listing's specifics. This is apparently do to the rising number of mobile users and the more you have in your description the more it clutters the mobile screen making the buyers move on.

I've done some work on most of my listings to only include what I think is necessary. But when looking at other similar listings, some have much more than I do. Then some listings have almost nothing and are still doing well.

I just want to get some opinions on this issue as I would like to cater to both mobile and desktop owners but I also don't want to start receiving negative feedback's due to the lack of information in my item description.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item Description

With clothing, I would not skimp on any detail.

It is a tough category to sell satisfactorily so minimize your potential Returns with all information applicable.

If you want to minimize your Item Description, don't duplicate the Item Specifics but focus on what is unique to your item.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Item Description

Have you read this page (and the associated links)?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=whats-new&faq=faq-vi-q10

If you have simple html knowledge, you can tag the description info that mobile devices will see first.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=faqs&faq=faq-vi-q09

-..-

Since I tend to do long details, something I need to get familiar with.

Maybe when I have down time during the postal strike/lockout in July.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Item Description

With clothing, I would not skimp on any detail.

It is a tough category to sell satisfactorily so minimize your potential Returns with all information applicable.

If you want to minimize your Item Description, don't duplicate the Item Specifics but focus on what is unique to your item.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Item Description

Both are correct.

You do have to cover exactly what the item the buyer gets will be, including measurements, colour, any damage and of course any particularly attractive information about the item.

Describe as if you have no pictures; picture as if you have no words.

You don't have to have long and involved Terms of Sale.

You don't have to moan about high shipping costs or explain why you charge what you charge for shipping.

You don't have to tell anyone you are honest. (Remember what Huey Long said about that.)

You don't have to explain that you are disabled, on a fixed income, trying to support 27 children, giving all your profit to rescue ferrets, or living a four mile hike down the mountain to meet the weekly stagecoach so shipping will be slow.

You really don't have to add flags, blessings, or any political or religious messages.

You don't have to complain about past customers.

You don't have to say that you will not accept certain groups of customers. (Usually 0 feedback buyers.)

Some of these are offputting.

Some are not enforceable.

None of them are attractive to customers.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply