Items for sale do not get alot of views

For some reason, I list my items much cheaper than other sellers' items in the same category and while their listings get views and watchers, my items barely get 5 views after 4-5 days of listing them, am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Can you see how many views your competitors are getting before they sell?

Because one reason your items are not selling is your misleading title.

Your Legends of Zelda is NOT "mint" as you claim in the title. They are used.

That is probably where you lose the sale. If a seller has a blatant mis-statement in the title the sale dies on the spot.

So fix that.

Your title is your best advertisement. You have 80 keystrokes to sell the sizzle.

Is Canadian Seller really a selling point? Would it turn off the ten times larger US market? Or would it be a warning that the transaction may be a problem?

Remember that Americans are very very parochial.

US customers shopping on dotCOM will see your items in USD if you have shipping to the USA enabled. Is $19.99 the best S&H you can offer?

Because of your customer demographic, you do want tracking. No question.

But could you take your $75 item with $15 /$20 tracked shipping and make it $90 or $99 with Free Shipping? Would your browsers become buyers?

If you do this, I would suggest using Free Shipping to the USA as well. All you have to do is enter $0.00 as the S&H for USA.

I understand why you would link three videos to your listing, but do you realize how many customers are shopping from work? What will they do when they carelessly check the next picture and game music starts blasting across the office? Yep.

And finally, on the still picture. Good on using a background that confirms you actually have the item. But if you have a scanner, try scanning rather than photographing . No shiny blurring. I prefer to scan anything flat. And I can scan my stamps at 600 dpi to give my customers a detailed view of their purchase, which is not actually necessary for you , of course.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

It was an endless source of frustration to me too when I was a starter seller on ebay that I would have the same item for less than others and still get the cold shoulder from buyers. Then I realized that I wasn't doing myself any favours by underpricing my items: it attracts only the extreme bargain-seekers who are often not happy about anything. And the shoppers who've been burned by discount sellers in the past will be skeptical of a deal that seems too good to be true. 

My best advice is this: Price fairly. Describe abundantly. Charge no handling fees and offer free shipping wherever possible. The purchasers will come. And when they do, pack that order like it contains the last, most important item on earth! Sloppy packaging kills every deal. 

It is important as you start to sell that you deliver excellent EXCELLENT excellent customer service with every order. Great customers appreciate great service and even cranky ones may still be swayed by very friendly customer service. Feedback is important. A poor buyer experience stands out more on a starter seller than it does on an experienced one. Those scores also set your placement in Best Match.

Until you amass enough seller experience to have repeat shoppers and followers, it is your lot in life here on ebay to slave away in the salt mines. The gravy train does not stop often for many people, and hopefully only those who have earned their way onto it get to ride. I'm still waiting for my turn but there are probably other people who sell what I sell who look at what I do and think I've got a free ticket. So, it's a matter of perspective as well. 

Best of luck to you. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Further to the above posts which are very good, and taking Zelda as an example.   You have a nice complete game compared to others missing the case, manual and/or docs.   I would highlite that as it is an advantage over other listings.   This is a very competitive area to list in and the title has to show the listing warrants attention.  Check the sold listings and the descriptions of the top price sellers. eg. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Complete/Near Mint (Nintendo GameCube, 2006)

Your price is not cheaper at $76.99 CDN + $19.99 CDN shipping - which is what the listing was showing me to ship to upstate NY.   It is about $58 US and the best sold listings are mainly between $45 and $50US.  Add $15 US shipping and you are not anywhere near competitive.  Buyers can buy cheaper within their own country.   There is one high outlier sale at $64 US with Free Shipping -  don't get hung up on the outliers, sometimes sellers get lucky but at the other end a lot of these sold for $20 or less.  This would be the main reason for no views or action.

- The shipping noted above is an immediate turn off.  In the US tracked shipping for a game is about $3.  You have to consider the full price including shipping.   Check the sold listings for an idea of the range of selling prices with shipping - is it stable or have a wide variance.   Pick a US zip code and check some US shipping prices to see what the buyers all in price will be.

- Saying Canadian seller is only useful if your main market is Canadians.  For video games it is not an advantage as 90% of buyers will be from the US.  Consider a US$ listing as well - it gives a stable familiar price to the main market

- Provide more pictures, closer ups of the different elements.  You are trying to sell a US$50 item, snap off a few more of the entire books.  You have a nice CIB item, show it all off.

- Go to somewhere like Dollarama and get a couple of $1 pieces of white bristol board as a background for your photos.  It will show off you items better and just looks better.   Pictures are powerful and need a bit of attention.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply