Weird situation

I had a guy purchase a $5 item off me. He thought there was free shipping, but it was clearly not the case as I had calculated shipping set up. So the guy does not pay, after 4 days Ebay sent the Unpaid Item warning. So the dude pays in the end to avoid the strike on his account, but now says he does not want the item and wants a full refund. Now that I have paid the fee's to ebay I can not return his money or I lose money.  I can not cancel the order either, because he paid. I could care less about refunding his payment, but there is no way I am going to lose money by paying the fee's on this transcation, and refund his money. Can he cancel the transaction or the paypal payment? Will he get a strike on his account if he cancels the order or paypal payment? I have never run into this situation before, and it is turning into a pain.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Weird situation

You won't lose anything. Refund him the money he paid and submit a Cancel Order Request to reverse the transaction and to recoup your selling fees. (Make certain that he has sent you the messages stating he doesn't want this through ebay Messages.) This is done via the Resolution Centre and there should be a drop-down option on the right of the item itself.

Make sure you pick the reason that the buyer doesn't want it. Then check your dashboard in about a week or three to make sure you don't get a defect for it, you shouldn't but it pays to double-check.

It's a pain in the rear but not your fault and better a buyer refunded upfront than one who receives something he doesn't want and causes something more problematic for you down the road. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Weird situation

, but there is no way I am going to lose money by paying the fee's on this transcation, and refund his money.

That's sweet.

What are the fees on a $5.00 sale?

If the minimum wage is 17cents a minute how much time have you wasted?

Which is higher the fees or the cost of your time?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Weird situation

And put him on your Blocked Bidder List.

You might also want to go to your Seller Preferences and add a block on people with Unpaid Item Strikes and add Immediate Payment Required to you Fixed Price listings.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Weird situation

What is a waste of time is reading comments that do nothing to help the situation at hand.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply