The buyer claimed to have bought my item but in fact was a scam.

I received word from eBay that someone had bought my item but I did not receive any funds either from eBay or in my PayPal account. The purported buyer claimed that they were on "deposit" and that I would receive them once I provided a shipping tracking number. Oh, and by the way, he wanted the Rolex watch I was selling shipped to Nigeria of all places.

Now I am stuck with this item showing as being sold and awaiting payment. How do I get rid of that designation? The supposed buyer is no longer registered/. 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Hi.

Sounds like a scam to begin with. Paypal will let you know if there is money sent to your account, waiting to be "cleared" and an expected date of how long it takes for a payment to clear.

They wanted a "Tracking Number" which meant that you would have paid for a shipping label BEFORE you received payment.

If they are no longer a registered ebay member, there's a reason for it.

Hopefully you will either go to the Resolution Center and click on No payment received and that they are no longer a registed user.

Call ebay if it says you have to wait until a certain date to lodge a dispute. You will definitely want your fees refunded to you.

I hope this helps. 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

@bobwilson10 wrote:

I received word from eBay that someone had bought my item but I did not receive any funds either from eBay or in my PayPal account. The purported buyer claimed that they were on "deposit" and that I would receive them once I provided a shipping tracking number. Oh, and by the way, he wanted the Rolex watch I was selling shipped to Nigeria of all places.

Now I am stuck with this item showing as being sold and awaiting payment. How do I get rid of that designation? The supposed buyer is no longer registered/. 

If it is in your sold list eBay will also have charged you final value fees. Go to the resolution centre and file a claim for funds not received. Since the buyer is no longer registered you won't have to wait to have the fees returned. It will stay in your sold list but you can archive it.

On another note I noticed you don't accept returns. While I certainly understand why you wouldn't want to please keep in mind that eBay has a money back guarantee for any reason a buyer wants. That means if you don't accept returns they can get their money back and are not obligated to send the merchandise back. It may be morally wrong to do so but not legally. Now I am not sure if that changes with the value of an item or not but since you are selling high priced items it might be worth checking out.

In case you are wondering I am indeed a seller and have been for a few years. This is an account I use for shopping.