RESERVE in an AUCTION

bmurds
Community Member

I have received several messages from an upset potential BUYER about WHY I have set a "SECRET RESRVE" price on a coin.

I tried to explain that just listing my lowest price does no result in any BIDS and he seemed quite upset that myself and others who set RESERVES are being unfair.

I feel that I am right in setting a reserve and it has worked for me, with 2 successful auctions recently.

This person has told me that I need to learn how to use ebay properly, I replied to him and he still blames me for using ebay improperly.

Am I wrong to do as I have done?

By the way this person did not even make a bid.

Barrie

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RESERVE in an AUCTION

When setting Reserves for Auctions it is within your rights  not to list the Reserve Price on the Auction but it does fustrate some that one does this

Many dont like bidding on auctions that do this. They don't want to spend the time having to keep bidding until they meet or pass the set reserve. They want to know upfront what the minimum price is  and then they can decide whether it is within the price they are willing to spend

Personally I very rarely use a Reserve Price  on auctions (maybe 10 or 15 times in the 14 yrs plus I have been doing them here) but  Have not used a  Reserve in Years.  When I dId I listed the Reserve Price in the listing.   It saved me from getting concerns such as you have gotten The price was there and others could decide upfront whether it was worth their time or was within the price they were willing to pay for the item

At times the price was met or surpassed it but other times it did not work but that also happens when a Reserve is not used

For the majority of my auctions I list the item at the minimum I am willing to take for the item. (This takes into account how much I have into the piece and if it does sell on the one bid  allows me to make a profit I am comfortable with)

While I have many sell at one bid there are times the final bid surpasses  the minimum bid and to me that's a bonus

With that said you are not doing anything wrong not disclosing the Reserve it is your choice  

One has to do what they are feel  is best but you will run into some potential customers that will react such as the one you have been dealing with or have others bypass the auction because they dont know the minimum amount they will need to spend to have a chance at it

weavers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

RESERVE in an AUCTION

Um, I would BLOCK the bidder who harassed you as soon as is possible, and count your blessings he didn't bid on your item this time around. Some people are best avoided and this gentleman (I use the term loosely) who made contact with you to insist that you don't know how to 'use ebay properly' sounds like one of them. I mean it, don't delay. It's under your Account Settings. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

RESERVE in an AUCTION

When setting Reserves for Auctions it is within your rights  not to list the Reserve Price on the Auction but it does fustrate some that one does this

Many dont like bidding on auctions that do this. They don't want to spend the time having to keep bidding until they meet or pass the set reserve. They want to know upfront what the minimum price is  and then they can decide whether it is within the price they are willing to spend

Personally I very rarely use a Reserve Price  on auctions (maybe 10 or 15 times in the 14 yrs plus I have been doing them here) but  Have not used a  Reserve in Years.  When I dId I listed the Reserve Price in the listing.   It saved me from getting concerns such as you have gotten The price was there and others could decide upfront whether it was worth their time or was within the price they were willing to pay for the item

At times the price was met or surpassed it but other times it did not work but that also happens when a Reserve is not used

For the majority of my auctions I list the item at the minimum I am willing to take for the item. (This takes into account how much I have into the piece and if it does sell on the one bid  allows me to make a profit I am comfortable with)

While I have many sell at one bid there are times the final bid surpasses  the minimum bid and to me that's a bonus

With that said you are not doing anything wrong not disclosing the Reserve it is your choice  

One has to do what they are feel  is best but you will run into some potential customers that will react such as the one you have been dealing with or have others bypass the auction because they dont know the minimum amount they will need to spend to have a chance at it

weavers

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

RESERVE in an AUCTION

Um, I would BLOCK the bidder who harassed you as soon as is possible, and count your blessings he didn't bid on your item this time around. Some people are best avoided and this gentleman (I use the term loosely) who made contact with you to insist that you don't know how to 'use ebay properly' sounds like one of them. I mean it, don't delay. It's under your Account Settings. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply