Why am I paying a PayPal refund fee for Canada Post mistakes?

Lately Canada Post  lost 2  packages. And I end up paying the refund price. One was small packets USA air and the other expedited. Yes I know I can't blame C.P. for the small packets usa but I am thinking it is the new hs code that is screwing things up. There (C.P.)hs code site sucks. Anyway I know it is the price of doing business but I'm not liking it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The HS codes as I understand it are an international thing for customs purposes.

They are not a Canada Post thing and the requirement also applies to couriers operating internationally.

I suspect the two losses are coincidental.

Were both going to the same country? Were they sent on the same day? Were they of highvalue/highfraud products?

Could the buyer of the untracked item be ... less than accurate about non-delivery?

The thing is, postal workers are well paid and receive good benefits. Outside of mental illness, there is no good reason for any First World postal worker to steal items from the mailstream. Sloppiness, yes. Forgetting to leave a delivery slip, leaving a parcel in plain view in a questionable neighbourhood, only leaving slips and keeping the parcels at the station. But theft is vanishingly rare.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The tracked package would be insured against loss in the mailstream and perhaps against slow delivery.

Phone the nice ladies in New Brunswick, and get your postage and perhaps the value of your item refunded.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Knock on wood (loudly) but I have found that the, ahem, not received items for me have dropped exponentially since I started taking parcels directly to the nearest postal retail counter and handing them personally to the people who work there during business hours. I had been filling orders in the middle of the night and dropping them at the nearest corner drop-box simply to clear them from my workflow. At that time, five to ten per cent went missing. Can you imagine?! It was horrible. I did not put the two circumstances together until I tried to hand my parcels once to a Canada Post truck driver who was emptying the boxes and he was an older guy who looked me straight in the eye and told me it's always better to hand them to a postal employee than to leave them in the drop box. 

Personally, I think the bar codes on Small Packet and HS codes are the best thing to happen to Canada Post International Airmail since carrier pigeons. People see a bar code, and they assume someone is watching them from somewhere. Embrace it. I agree the HS codes themselves could be MUCH more intuitive but so be it. I'd like to see more than 28 characters of the line I'm trying to read but I don't hold much hope for that changing.  

Best of luck carrying forward. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The HS codes as I understand it are an international thing for customs purposes.

They are not a Canada Post thing and the requirement also applies to couriers operating internationally.

I suspect the two losses are coincidental.

Were both going to the same country? Were they sent on the same day? Were they of highvalue/highfraud products?

Could the buyer of the untracked item be ... less than accurate about non-delivery?

The thing is, postal workers are well paid and receive good benefits. Outside of mental illness, there is no good reason for any First World postal worker to steal items from the mailstream. Sloppiness, yes. Forgetting to leave a delivery slip, leaving a parcel in plain view in a questionable neighbourhood, only leaving slips and keeping the parcels at the station. But theft is vanishingly rare.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The tracked package would be insured against loss in the mailstream and perhaps against slow delivery.

Phone the nice ladies in New Brunswick, and get your postage and perhaps the value of your item refunded.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Knock on wood (loudly) but I have found that the, ahem, not received items for me have dropped exponentially since I started taking parcels directly to the nearest postal retail counter and handing them personally to the people who work there during business hours. I had been filling orders in the middle of the night and dropping them at the nearest corner drop-box simply to clear them from my workflow. At that time, five to ten per cent went missing. Can you imagine?! It was horrible. I did not put the two circumstances together until I tried to hand my parcels once to a Canada Post truck driver who was emptying the boxes and he was an older guy who looked me straight in the eye and told me it's always better to hand them to a postal employee than to leave them in the drop box. 

Personally, I think the bar codes on Small Packet and HS codes are the best thing to happen to Canada Post International Airmail since carrier pigeons. People see a bar code, and they assume someone is watching them from somewhere. Embrace it. I agree the HS codes themselves could be MUCH more intuitive but so be it. I'd like to see more than 28 characters of the line I'm trying to read but I don't hold much hope for that changing.  

Best of luck carrying forward. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

yess and if your item isnt delivered guess what ebay will give you demerits on your dash board or as they are called defects,which adds insult to injury the buyer which more than likely has the item plus his money back,like twice last week to the same person,i saw one guy that sold coins to the same guy, and guess what he didnt recieve any of them,the buyer left the seller feed back all three times thanking him for his refund,makes me wonder how some one could not only do that but get away with it but they walk amoung us
Message 5 of 5
latest reply