Why are E bay members who purchase an item but do not pay for it not penalized in any way?

Why are persons that bid on a item and win are not penalized when they do not pay?  The item is in limbo for at least week and more and they can go on doing the same thing elsewhere without any penalty.  They should at least get negative feedback so a seller can at least have a chance to know who they are dealing with. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Why are E bay members who purchase an item but do not pay for it not penalized in any way?

Go to your Seller Preferences and join the majority of sellers who have set an automatic Block against bidders who have two or more Unpaid Item Strikes in the past 12 months.

If those bidders get 'too many' Strikes* , eBay will close their buying account.

When you get an unpaid transaction, you should take action too. Go to the Resolution Centre and open the Unpaid Item Dispute that will award the bidder that Strike. You will get your selling fees back and can relist without difficulty. The buyer cannot then leave you negative feedback, either.

This helps all of us.

Negative feedback? Not only does it reflect as much on the leaver as the receiver, but it is totally useless for all us sellers who don't use auctions. We don't see who is buying until they have bought.

But we can prevent those purchases by using the Strikes. It's automatic. We don't need to even think about it.

*best guesses are four - with the first being removable, since anyone can make a mistake and learn from it.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hi there Cirrus6262, Very good and accurate advice by femmefan1946. Do take these precautions. I do have a beef with one in particular however; "Buyers who have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)." I think this is quite lenient for non-reputable buyers. If a seller were to have 4 strikes against him/her within 6 months (depending on how many items seller sold within a month), it would bring their rating down, defect percentage up, possibly lose the 20% final value fee if seller was already receiving this. It is things like this we need to write to eBay about. My two cents. Happy Day! Lorraine

Message 3 of 3
latest reply