pictures public domain

once a picture is posted on ebay does it become public domain ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

It really depends on a few things... When and how old is the photo .. Depending on where you live there are dates where pictures before have no copyright to them and any photos after do have a copyright...

Then some other factors is the photo an original or reproduction .. Reproduction will have no copyrights ..

there are too many factors to just say yes or no but if you would like more info just provide a little more detail..

This is just info based on not knowing where you live but it is a very broad subject for example...

If you go to a museum and they allow photos to be taken of say a copyright painting you have now taken a photo and you now own that photo qand would be allowed to use it ... Keep in mind I am talking about using a picture of the picture ... The original is still a copyright but your photo is now your property and you own it...

Very very tricky thing ....

Just to say how messed up the laws of copyright are look at it this way... I can find a photo on someones ebay listing and I can not copy and paste it as that would mean I am using a copyright photo but I can take a picture of that photo with my camera and be able to use it legally ...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

The pictures you make of your own items, whether photos or scans, are yours and other sellers cannot copy them without your permission.

Unauthorized use/theft of your pictures can be Reported to eBay. It is a Violation.

Some mischeivous sellers who have been plagued by this practice, will host their pictures off eBay , in PhotoBucket for example, and when they find a stolen picture, will switch the hosted image with another. Just what that 'other' might be depends on their level of  annoyance and sense of humour.

O ya I should of added in the photo thing ... IF the photo you take produces an EXACT Replica it can be consider a infringment on copyright laws...