item sold on Dec 11 at 23:31 and still no payment

Sold the only item I ever listed and am still awaiting payment.  How long do you give someone?  System is telling me to print shipping label but I'm assuming I don't need to do that until item is paid for.  There was a discrepancy between shipping cost stated on listing and that on the invoice I sent  (not sure why).  When I listed item I chose "actual shipping cost".  I emailed buyer to say I would refund the difference as the invoice was higher by around $4.00 and change.  So that shouldn't be the reason for not paying.  I've had no response whatsoever from buyer.  So I'm wondering what my next step is?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

" I don't need to do that until item is paid for.  "

You are correct.

On the invoice, you could have amended the shipping.

What you can do after 23:31 today is start the unpaid item process. You can do that 4 days after end of sale which would be anytime after 23:31. Hopefully it will prompt the buyer to pay.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It sold at midnight on  Thursday the 11th.

You promised the buyer you would amend the shipping price.

Have you done that? Just go to the invoice, correct the shipping, DO NOT CLICK RECALCULATE,  and send it to him.

Do not ship until he has paid.

But are you sure he hasn't?

Note that as a new seller your customer's payment will be Held by Paypal against your good performance for 21 days after his payment clears.

Hover your mouse over the symbol in the payment column to see if this is the situation.

Another indication that he has actually paid, but the payment is being Held, is that you will be able to print the Paypal shipping label. PP will take the cost of the label out of the Held payment.

This is a Buyer Protection policy and will last until you have been selling for 90 days, and have completed 25 US sales. Nothing personal, just making sure scammers don't take the buyers' money and disappear. Annoying.

Technically you can start a Dispute after 96 hours from purchase. But I'd be allowing some slack for the midnight part. Your buyer may have been hovering over his computer, but just as likely he set up a 'snipe' bid and was fast asleep when it was initiated.

About the shipping. You can set up Calculated Shipping for anywhere in the world. All you need is a metric scale and a metric tape measure. Enter the dimensions of the packed item and the weight, choose the service and the system will do the work for you. This also looks more professional and increases buyer confidence.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I will try to amend the invoice. Having trouble finding it again. I had taken the package to post office and they did all the measurements and weight and this info is what I keyed in and chose to charge actual shipping cost so I assumed based on buyer's address that shipping would have been calculated accordingly. It was only after the sale when I went to send invoice that I realized shipping on invoice was coming up higher (which I believe is the actual cost; however, I want to honour the shipping price that the listing stated). I hovered over the $ symbol and it only states I sent an invoice etc, nothing about buyer's payment. Do I have to print a shipping label when time comes to ship? I don't own a printer (I know …in this day and age), so had planned on hand writing the address on package. This is a one time selling for me (so complex I find) so how will it work if you say I need to have 25 US sales before getting paid?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Just found and amended the invoice. I'll see if I get payment in the next day or so.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sorry I was unclear.

Do I have to print a shipping label when time comes to ship?

No.

I handwrite my labels and use postage stamps, but I have a source for discount mint postage.

The advantages of the PP label are coordinating your bookkeeping, paying for postage out of your customer's payment (as mentioned) rather than your pocket and earlier than the release of your payment from the 21 Day Hold.

Most important, some services give PP users a 5% to 18% discount from PO counter prices.

I don't own a printer (I know …in this day and age), so had planned on hand writing the address on package.

Handwriting is fine. If you have access to a computer with a printer attached though, go for it! (See discounts, above.)

This is a one time selling for me (so complex I find) so how will it work if you say I need to have 25 US sales before getting paid?

Don't worry. You will not get your customer's payment immediately, although you ship immediately. The HOLD is to make sure you do ship and the item is satisfactory.

Your payment will arrive around Little Christmas.

The Hold lasts until the new seller has proven herself competent. If this is a one-off, don't worry.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I ended up sending to Resolution Centre as unpaid item. I wish I could just delete the whole listing etc., and move on with life. So complex.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply