why seller is responsible if buyer does not recevied the item when its clearly says in seller add

why seller is responsible if buyer does not received an item while its clearly says in seller add upgrade shipping to register track package.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (12)

Answers (12)

Don't give your customer a choice.

He will pay for the cheap service and expect the expensive one.

And that's the good customer, it's human nature.

You have two choices.

• Only offer Tracked Shipping and lose market share to countries with cheap tracking on shipping.
  • Cookie Jar Insurance.

The first can be ameliorated a little by moving to Flat Rate/Free Shipping.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means the costs of shipping are included in the asking price.

Which is cheaper?

A $10 item with $10 tracked shipping?

Or a $20 item with Free Tracked Shipping for the customer's security? A little smoke and mirrors there.

Cookie Jar Insurance does not involve Tracking.

The seller adds a small amount (a dime or less) to every asking price as an insurance premium to cover the occasional problem.

In addition to loss or damage or delay in mail, Cookie Jar Insurance also covers damage due to poor packaging, Not As Described claims,  Buyer Remorse claims, return shipping costs and tracking on high value items. 

Most of which would not be covered by tracking.

I noticed in one of your listings (I didn't look at all of them) the following:

"what you will get

10 coins of 2017 toonies glow in dark

track package"

To me, that says that I will get 10 toonies WITH tracked shipping. Later in the listing, you state you ship Lettermail with the option to upgrade to tracked shipping. The contradiction is confusing and is where problems may start. Not all buyers read the descriptions, and of those that do, not all of them will read through everything.

If you want to offer tracked options, set up your listings so buyers can choose the option when they checkout. Most won't (especially when they see the difference in costs), but at least the option is there to choose instead of having to go out of their way to contact you about it before they buy.

Also, stating in your listing that a buyer is bound by your terms and conditions means nil. We are bound by eBay's terms and conditions, and their Money Back Guarantee trumps what you have in your listing. "No returns" does not mean "no refunds".

Edit: oops...look's like mjwl and I were typing at the same time. Oh, and also, ALL CAPS can be considered yelling and may be harder to read for some, especially in large blocks of text. More spacing may help.

The following is meaningless:

"BUYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS ITEMS IF THEY SELECT A LETTER POST, SELLER WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBLITY.
TRACK SHIPPING OPTION AVAILABLE
CANADA  $13.99
USA   $17.99
INTERNATIONAL  $24.99
PURCHASING AN ITEM IS AGREEMENT TO ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS."

You cannot set your own terms for sale in this respect, you must follow ebay's terms. You would be wise to remove this text passage from your listings before shoppers report you for contravening the seller's user agreement. At best, buyers will avoid you; at worst, ebay may sanction you.

Adding insult to injury, you put the onus on the buyer to 'choose the right thing and buy a tracked service or suffer the consequences' but don't even offer it as a shipping option in the listing. So how is the buyer supposed to choose it? 

p.s. Spelling counts. 

As an ebay buyer and seller both, you wouldn't, as a buyer expect to pay for something and then not receive it from the seller you chose. Would you? 

@clarksonsardar wrote:

why seller is responsible if buyer does not received an item while its clearly says in seller ad  upgrade shipping to register track package.

Because that's the minimum standard for eBay sellers -- no matter what your listing says, the seller is responsible for Items-Not-Received. 

It's to prevent sellers from selling an item but not shipping it.

-..-

@clarksonsardarwrote:

why seller is responsible if buyer does not received an item while its clearly says in seller add upgrade shipping to register track package.

Because those are eBay rules if you want to sell here. What you put in your listings does not change the minimum eBay selling requirements (same goes for the A-river).  The rules are set by eBay HQ in the USA which has very cheap post office tracking.

Telling people to upgrade shipping to get tracking is putting out an open honey pot to attract ants scammers on eBay.

-..-

mcrlmn
Community Member

Call me a cynic, but as a seller, I would never offer "upgrade shipping to register track package".

I stipulate S&H terms in my listings accordingly.

As a buyer, I want to pay as little for S&H as possible.

I have paid for registered, but only because that was the only shipping option for an item I really wanted.

I have been offered the option, but have declined.

It is not my responsibility to ensure my purchases are received, it it the seller's.

YOU WERE SETTING YOURSELF UP TO FAIL, WHEN YOU STATED 3.60$ TO SHIP AND SAID TRACKED..THEN SENT IT REGULAR MAIL..

sorry for the caps, i just noticed..to lazy to change it..

The buyer pays* for prompt and secure delivery.

The seller is responsible for delivery because he chooses the shipping service.

If the seller chooses not to use Confirmation of Delivery, that is his choice and if the item is not delivered (or cannot be proven to be delivered) he takes responsibility.

If the shipment is not delivered or is damaged in transit, the seller is responsible to the buyer.

However, the sub-contracted shipper (Canada Post, UPS, CanPar) is responsible to the seller who employed him.

*Even with Free Shipping, where in actuality, the cost of shipping is included in the selling price. TANSTAAFL

Shipping with a Tracking Number is a Seller Protection.

If the Buyer opens a "item not received" claim and the Seller cannot provide "confirmation of delivery" then the Buyer will refunded for the transaction regardless of what option they chose for shipping. .

mcrlmn
Community Member

As a seller I sympathize about your frustration as I have felt the angst and cynicism of an item not received on 3 occasions.

Sometimes I subsidize for tracking on large high dollar orders for my own peace of mind.

My 'cookie jar insurance' comes from sales of 2 bit items found in my 'pocket change'.

However, as a buyer I have the choice to buy based on the information stated by a seller.

The shipping cost stated could be $2 or $13.99. I base my buying decisions on need to have and total price to my door.

Aside from condition and price, all I look for is the S&H stated under the price, and then for a combined shipping statement.

The seller has every opportunity list an item with any S&H rate to address concerns they may have.

I would never offer to pay $13.99 shipping for $6.99 worth of Canadian dimes or quarters.

I wouldn't even pay $13.99 shipping for a $20 item. I'd sooner give it to the local buggy lady.

That's not likely either.

Unless it is my Great-Granny's heirloom, I'm not going to offer to pay any more for shipping.

I feel it is the seller's responsibility to state terms clearly.

After I make a purchase, I feel it is the seller's responsibility package it properly and to deliver the item to me.

ccm005
Community Member

They've become too buyer friendly.  I've lost a bit since they changed the rules and put the onus on the seller to provide tracking info.  If the buyers don't want to pay for tracked shipping, then they can dispute later and ebay will 100% find in their favor.  Happened recently within my own country.  And if you try to charge extra on the shipping to provide a tracked service, they report you for fee avoidance.  Can't win.  Sales have dropped almost off the map since I've raised my shipping costs.  Considering closing my account and letting the local card shops sell my items on consignment.