Shippo Over-Billing for shipping labels.

I received my third Shippo invoice today.  Upon matching up my shipping label receipts with the Shippo invoice I had been overcharged $5.17 Cdn on an invoice total that should have been $93.12 Cdn.  (Shippo billed me $101.29)

The Shippo invoices are garbage with part of the right hand column in US dollars and the subtotal and total in Cdn dollars.  If the $5.17 is a currency exchange calculation, well 5% is rather stiff.

My first two invoice from Shippo were correct.  The amount on my shipping label receipts matched the Cdn dollar total at the bottom of the invoice even though the right hand 'Amount' column was in US dollars.

I have issued a ticket on the Shippo system, and so far I just have an email from Shippo stating that they have received the ticket.

This invoicing method sucks.  It is very time consuming.  With PayPal, I knew immediately how much I had been billed for my shipping label, end of concern and onto the next package to be shipped.  Now, with Shippo I have to keep the shipping label receipts so that I can match them up whenever I get billed by Shippo to make sure that they did not make a mistake.  It looks like this going to have to been done faithfully going forward because I am not confident that Shippo can bill in Cdn dollars with any accuracy.

I have put this into a post so that other sellers can see that Shippo billing needs to be checked.  (match the shipping label receipt amounts to the total at the bottom of the invoice)

Rodney, can you step in here.  Can you contact Shippo and have them issue our invoices entirely in Cdn dollars.  I would like to see the invoicing process streamlined such that we can see a current invoice status.

All the Best,

Fred

PS  Personally, I would like to see ebay switch back to PayPal.  PayPal did have problems from time to time but it was not nearly as cludgely as Shippo.  That Shippo cludgeeness translates into a lot extra time required to get the same shipping labels printed and billed correctly.  I am sure we are going to see Shippo outages etc. as well.

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just a quick update.

There is still no solution.  I have been trading emails back and forth with Shippo.  It is now Friday and it seems that Shippo has stopped communicating with me.  At this point I do not have a credit or a refund for the amount I was over billed. I have sent Shippo .jpg's of the documents that they asked for.  The communication stopped at that point. 

All I can say at this point is to be sure to reconcile your Shippo invoice with the actual cost on the your shipping label receipts.

I received an invoice from Shippo today for seven shipping labels and after reconciliation it was correct.  The amount that I was over billed previously was $5.17 Cdn.  I have wasted too much time on this issue already so I am going to close this thread.

FAR

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Hey also just did a comparison for an Expedited Parcel from On to NB...Shippo was over $1 more expensive than printing directly through Paypal..What is this we have to compare both ways every time too? Canadian Sellers..Compare your quotes Shippo may not be the cheapest...I agree also I wish they would just leave things alone that work..I guess the ebay people believe we son't have other things in our lives that need doing...but to have to change everything around every 6 months or so..got to find a better way.

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

@the-dart-guy wrote:

Hey also just did a comparison for an Expedited Parcel from On to NB...Shippo was over $1 more expensive than printing directly through Paypal..What is this we have to compare both ways every time too?

PayPal (directly) has a special shipping discount on Expedited Parcel in Canada until July 31. Was part of details in the Canada Post/Paypal connection announcement.

Nothing to do with the OP's over-billing issue.

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

Also, it's stupid to be billed this way. I want to pay my postage labels as I go. I don't want to be billed irregularly! My paypal balance fluctuates daily, I can't keep a balance in paypal when I use paypal to shop online at other retailers. That's not how it works, as anyone who actually uses paypal as a funding source could tell them. 

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@the-dart-guy wrote:

Hey also just did a comparison for an Expedited Parcel from On to NB...Shippo was over $1 more expensive than printing directly through Paypal..What is this we have to compare both ways every time too?

PayPal (directly) has a special shipping discount on Expedited Parcel in Canada until July 31. Was part of details in the Canada Post/Paypal connection announcement.

Nothing to do with the OP's over-billing issue.

Could you humor me and share that announcement? I'd like to study it. I don't much care for Shippo and Canada Post's website seems to be experiencing issues with Macs so it looks like I need to develop and utilize Plan c. 

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@the-dart-guy wrote:

Hey also just did a comparison for an Expedited Parcel from On to NB... Shippo was over $1 more expensive than printing directly through Paypal..

Could you humor me and share that announcement? I'd like to study it. I don't much care for Shippo and Canada Post's website seems to be experiencing issues with Macs so it looks like I need to develop and utilize Plan c. 

2017 June 5:

Sellers can easily link their PayPal and Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account and be eligible to receive significant savings on domestic and international shipments. Until July 31, 2017, eligible businesses** can save an additional 15 per cent on Expedited Parcel when shipping within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2017/06/05/paypal_and_cana...

-..-

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 7 of 51
latest reply

I can't believe the eBay is forcing Shippo.  Absolutely ridiculous.  The front end is super clunky and just to add to the July 1st HST hit on the outrageous fees, we also have to deal with inflated shipping charges.  Thanks so much for taking yet another chunk out of our businesses eBay.  Amazon, here I come.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

@ps3launch wrote:

... Shippo ... front end is super clunky and just to add to the July 1st HST hit on the outrageous fees, we also have to deal with inflated shipping charges.  ...  Amazon, here I come.

If you're based in Canada -- amazon provides NO shipping support -- absolutely NONE.

-..-

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thewoodguy1 wrote:

I received my third Shippo invoice today.  Upon matching up my shipping label receipts with the Shippo invoice I had been overcharged $5.17 Cdn on an invoice total that should have been $93.12 Cdn.  (Shippo billed me $101.29)

The Shippo invoices are garbage with part of the right hand column in US dollars and the subtotal and total in Cdn dollars.  If the $5.17 is a currency exchange calculation, well 5% is rather stiff.

My first two invoice from Shippo were correct.  The amount on my shipping label receipts matched the Cdn dollar total at the bottom of the invoice even though the right hand 'Amount' column was in US dollars.

I have issued a ticket on the Shippo system, and so far I just have an email from Shippo stating that they have received the ticket.

This invoicing method sucks.  It is very time consuming.  With PayPal, I knew immediately how much I had been billed for my shipping label, end of concern and onto the next package to be shipped.  Now, with Shippo I have to keep the shipping label receipts so that I can match them up whenever I get billed by Shippo to make sure that they did not make a mistake.  It looks like this going to have to been done faithfully going forward because I am not confident that Shippo can bill in Cdn dollars with any accuracy.

I have put this into a post so that other sellers can see that Shippo billing needs to be checked.  (match the shipping label receipt amounts to the total at the bottom of the invoice)

Rodney, can you step in here.  Can you contact Shippo and have them issue our invoices entirely in Cdn dollars.  I would like to see the invoicing process streamlined such that we can see a current invoice status.

All the Best,

Fred

PS  Personally, I would like to see ebay switch back to PayPal.  PayPal did have problems from time to time but it was not nearly as cludgely as Shippo.  That Shippo cludgeeness translates into a lot extra time required to get the same shipping labels printed and billed correctly.  I am sure we are going to see Shippo outages etc. as well.

Hi thewoodguy1.

Shippo invoicing for Canadians is entirely in CAD, but they've got a display issue that is showing USD conversion. Team Shippo is fixing that up for us. The actual billing is in CAD in the background. They have also heard pretty clearly that folks prefer real-time billing.

Could you kindly PM me with details of the invoice with the overcharge? I'll be glad to take that to Shippo. 

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@the-dart-guy wrote:

Hey also just did a comparison for an Expedited Parcel from On to NB...Shippo was over $1 more expensive than printing directly through Paypal..What is this we have to compare both ways every time too? Canadian Sellers..Compare your quotes Shippo may not be the cheapest...I agree also I wish they would just leave things alone that work..I guess the ebay people believe we son't have other things in our lives that need doing...but to have to change everything around every 6 months or so..got to find a better way.

If you were shipping domestically via expedited parcel, then PayPal's new platform (and CPC SnapShip) are both 15% off until the end of July. 

For every other kind of service, with the eBay discount added on top of the Solutions for Small Business discount, we would expect Shippo to be cheaper or at worst the same price as PayPal. Come August 1st, when the discount on PayPal and Snapship ends, Shippo will be the cheapest (or same price at worst) for all shipping services. 

If theshipment wasn't domestic expedited parcel, I'd love to hear more. 

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also, it's stupid to be billed this way. I want to pay my postage labels as I go. I don't want to be billed irregularly! My paypal balance fluctuates daily, I can't keep a balance in paypal when I use paypal to shop online at other retailers. That's not how it works, as anyone who actually uses paypal as a funding source could tell them. 

Hear you loud and clear. We'll work with Shippo on that. 

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ps3launch wrote:

I can't believe the eBay is forcing Shippo.  Absolutely ridiculous.  The front end is super clunky and just to add to the July 1st HST hit on the outrageous fees, we also have to deal with inflated shipping charges.  Thanks so much for taking yet another chunk out of our businesses eBay.  Amazon, here I come.

Sorry you feel that way. We thought of it as an enormous upgrade over PayPal, who only offered one carrier, had been pretty unreliable over the past few months, and wasn't going to support our labels past June 30th regardless.

Hope you have better luck at Amazon. When you get tired of working with with them, we'll be here to welcome you back.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

this system suck ......Ebay what are you doing 

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

This is crazy, I have created label and upon sending it (LOCAL PARCEL). Canada Post could not take my parcel and it said 'Distribution Order blocked for credit. This has never happened since I used ebay. This Shippo postage is absolutely useless....

Message 15 of 51
latest reply

@ca_li22 wrote:

This is crazy, I have created label and upon sending it (LOCAL PARCEL). Canada Post could not take my parcel and it said 'Distribution Order blocked for credit.

Read this thread:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Made-label-on-Shippo-Canada-post-wants-alternative-paymen...

I'm curious, what's a LOCAL PARCEL ?

That does not match any parcel service that Canada Post sells.

-..-

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

I took my first Shippo-created postage label to a Canada Post counter today and had problems.

The ebay Announcement (which I had at hand, ready for the postal manager at this location) insinuated the problem lays with postal clerks who don't understand how to process the labels.

I learned today that is not necessarily the case.

The problem was with my Shippo label, in particular. 

The postal manager knew what Shippo was as I am not the only ebay seller using this location and she said that she's had dozens of packages from another seller already that scanned fine with whatever she was used to doing for the Shippo process. Mine did not. When she called the CPC retail support, she said they had 'no idea' what she was talking about.

Without any actual direction or assistance, she kept plugging away at it until eventually she found it could be accepted as a 'supplier account'. 

By that time, I had left. She called me at home to tell me this so that I could help troubleshoot if this happens again.

I thought you should know. 

It's a problem that is label-specific. Or user-specific. It's not the postal agent or authorized dealers. 

Supplier account.

I would venture to say Shippo is having problems communicating with Canada Post over these labels. And I cannot help but wonder if part of that problem is because my label is 'billed' but unpaid. 

And I think I speak for a hundred other sellers when I say we will be happy to use this new service for printing postage labels when Shippo gets their act together. While it is valid advice to give some sellers to just leave their parcel behind in a red box if the postal agent cannot accept it, I cannot if I offer same-day shipping since the acceptance scan is what I live and die by. 

And I also get that making changes to anything on ebay is like trying to redirect a herd of elephants but we mice are getting squished down here. It's very frustrating. Sales performance is in the dump for most of us lately, our TRS discount is now less by half, we're paying new taxes on seller fees when we didn't before, and now this. It's a bit much. 

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

I'm sure that there was a similar post about that last week or so and I think they too found out that using 'supplier' worked. But that didn't work for someone else on that thread. Very odd.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I took my first Shippo-created postage label to a Canada Post counter today and had problems.

The ebay Announcement (which I had at hand, ready for the postal manager at this location) insinuated the problem lays with postal clerks who don't understand how to process the labels.

I learned today that is not necessarily the case.

The problem was with my Shippo label, in particular. 

The postal manager knew what Shippo was as I am not the only ebay seller using this location and she said that she's had dozens of packages from another seller already that scanned fine with whatever she was used to doing for the Shippo process. Mine did not. When she called the CPC retail support, she said they had 'no idea' what she was talking about.

Without any actual direction or assistance, she kept plugging away at it until eventually she found it could be accepted as a 'supplier account'. 

By that time, I had left. She called me at home to tell me this so that I could help troubleshoot if this happens again.

I thought you should know. 

It's a problem that is label-specific. Or user-specific. It's not the postal agent or authorized dealers. 

Supplier account.

I would venture to say Shippo is having problems communicating with Canada Post over these labels. And I cannot help but wonder if part of that problem is because my label is 'billed' but unpaid. 

And I think I speak for a hundred other sellers when I say we will be happy to use this new service for printing postage labels when Shippo gets their act together. While it is valid advice to give some sellers to just leave their parcel behind in a red box if the postal agent cannot accept it, I cannot if I offer same-day shipping since the acceptance scan is what I live and die by. 

And I also get that making changes to anything on ebay is like trying to redirect a herd of elephants but we mice are getting squished down here. It's very frustrating. Sales performance is in the dump for most of us lately, our TRS discount is now less by half, we're paying new taxes on seller fees when we didn't before, and now this. It's a bit much. 

The correct procedures for the Canada Post clerks are different for domestic vs US and INTL shipments, and I suspect that's where this clerk was confused. There are two different processes. Supplier account only works for one of them. This is documented in the material that the clerks have, and the Canada Post retail help line is staffed by people who know the processes well.

I want to point out that this is in no way a Shippo issue. It's a Canada Post issue, and they are working on a simpler solution. Canada Post has told us that the same issues are happening with labels printed on the new PayPal platform too. 

If you have trouble at the desk, ask the clerk to contact the help desk. The clerks are bombarded with tons of information and in some cases they are part-time Shopper's Drug Mart employees who seldom handle parcels. If they contact the help line, they will get the support they need. Hopefully clerks will start to know the right procedures soon, and/or Canada Post can improve the point of sale experience for the clerks to make it simpler for them. CPC is working on that.

Here's an AB we put up on this topic last week - https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/06/30/8023/

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Thank you, Rodney. I will trust you at your word that this is the case. My local Canada Post manager was telling a different version yesterday. We'll see where it goes from here.
Message 20 of 51
latest reply