Tracked Packet International - Same rates?

I compared prices yesterday for a 39 x 30 x 2 cm package - 260 g going to Australia. Because of the value, I wanted to use Tracked Packet and I compared prices. PayPal, Snap Ship and Shippo, all had the same rate: $45.14. My first reaction was "What?" I thought using Shippo would give us a discount...?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

PayPal discounted international tracked packet so I assume that Shippo is supposed to be doing the same.

They should also be discounting domestic and international xpresspost.  

PayPal (and Shippo) both give you the same discounted rate as you get from the Canada Post website (Snap Ship or EST Online) for those services.

It's only a discount versus the over-the-counter rate and is not a special eBay rate.

When did that start? It was always less expensive on PP versus the Canada Post site.

Only true until end of 2016.

I did some price comparisons way back in January 2017 and depending on weight the ebay paypal discount could be not as good for international tracked.  That's when Canada Post rolled out some better discounts for Solutions for Small Business on their website (and the eBay through paypal discounts were unchanged). So you had to check both sites to see which was less expensive.

PayPal since May has had their own Canada Post agreement -- and you get the same online discount as on the Canada Post website (as of August 1, since before that Snap Ship had the 15% special discount). Only paypal advantages are paying with paypal and no copy-paste required.

When eBay switched to Shippo, eBay's new agreement with Canada Post went into effect and only some services have a bigger discount than on the Canada Post website.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@lady.stark wrote:

I compared prices yesterday for a 39 x 30 x 2 cm package - 260 g going to Australia. Because of the value, I wanted to use Tracked Packet and I compared prices. PayPal, Snap Ship and Shippo, all had the same rate: $45.14. My first reaction was "What?" I thought using Shippo would give us a discount...?

If I remember correctly, the eBay discounts via Shippo are for

Canada: Expedited Parcel

USA: Small Packet, Tracked Packet, Expedited Parcel

International: Small Packet

-..-

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

PayPal discounted international tracked packet so I assume that Shippo is supposed to be doing the same.

I wonder if someone asked about this at the webinar today?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

PayPal (and Shippo) both give you the same discounted rate as you get from the Canada Post website (Snap Ship or EST Online) for those services.

It's only a discount versus the over-the-counter rate and is not a special eBay rate.

-..-

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

-..-

But it was discounted with PayPal before the change to Shippo. That is what is upsetting me. Why change to get less? It's really disappointing to see eBay changed for something that is not equal - or better - than what we had with PayPal. Woman Mad

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

-..-

When did that start? It was always less expensive on PP versus the Canada Post site.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Only true until end of 2016.

I did some price comparisons way back in January 2017 and depending on weight the ebay paypal discount could be not as good for international tracked.  That's when Canada Post rolled out some better discounts for Solutions for Small Business on their website (and the eBay through paypal discounts were unchanged). So you had to check both sites to see which was less expensive.

PayPal since May has had their own Canada Post agreement -- and you get the same online discount as on the Canada Post website (as of August 1, since before that Snap Ship had the 15% special discount). Only paypal advantages are paying with paypal and no copy-paste required.

When eBay switched to Shippo, eBay's new agreement with Canada Post went into effect and only some services have a bigger discount than on the Canada Post website.

-..-

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Just made another comparison... package 29 x 23 x 9 cm, 225 grams going from G2G 2L5 to L7G 5L7.

Expedited

Shippo: $14.27

Canada Post: $15.19

A discount of only $0.92. Are they kidding us? PayPal was way more advantageous than this before the change. I'm really becoming to think eBay is laughing at us right now. Couldn't they obtain better discounts??

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I have not seen enough advantage/benefit/reasons to sign up for Shippo. I continue to use PayPal/Canada Post and/or Canada Post Snap Ship. As a low volume seller,  using Shippo is not worth all the inconvenience &/or unreliability- Shippo has yet to prove its worthiness.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Just made another comparison... package 29 x 23 x 9 cm, 225 grams going from G2G 2L5 to L7G 5L7.

Expedited

A discount of only $0.92. Are they kidding us? PayPal was way more advantageous than this before the change. I'm really becoming to think eBay is laughing at us right now. Couldn't they obtain better discounts??

Canada Post is the one laughing.

Too bad you couldn't have made that package one centimetre shorter on one of the sides.

29 x 23 x 9 is 6003 divided by 6000 gives a volumetric weight that puts that package into the 1-1.5kg price range.

Volumetric weight surcharge (in this case) is $1.84 of the Canada Post $15.19 price.

Based on my observations, the eBay discounts via Shippo are around:

6% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for Expedited parcel (domestic).

17.0% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for USA Small Packet

9.5% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for USA Tracked Packet

8.6% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for USA Expedited Parcel

19.2% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for International Small Packet (Air)

eBay marketing likes to compare their discounts to the over-the-counter rates.

-..-

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It is my understanding that the rate of discounts are based on a seller's Solutions for Small Business shipping volume level, which to me translates as to those high volume sellers will have higher discounts than low volume sellers. So for me as a low volume seller, using Shippo is more hassle than what it's worth and simply not worth the bother..

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

Expedited

Canada Post is the one laughing.

Too bad you couldn't have made that package one centimetre shorter on one of the sides.

29 x 23 x 9 is 6003 divided by 6000 gives a volumetric weight that puts that package into the 1-1.5kg price range.

Volumetric weight surcharge (in this case) is $1.84 of the Canada Post $15.19 price.

19.2% off your Solutions for Small Business rate for International Small Packet (Air)

eBay marketing likes to compare their discounts to the over-the-counter rates.

-..-

This is confusing. So what you are saying is that now that Canada Post gives the small business discounts online on their site and on Paypal is that some of the rates we receive on Shippo are small business rates such as with tracked packet international and that we have an extra discount above the business rate with the 5 services that you mention in your post. Is that right?   

In the case of the international tracked packet Shippo gives us the same discount as anyone with the minimum small business discount rate gets but I'm guessing that it is still the same rate that we received previously. It's just that before, we couldn't compare it online because Canada Post only showed the counter rate. Does that sound right?

I haven't used Shippo for tracked packet USA yet but because it is a service that I have used in the past, I know that the 9.5% off of small business rates that you quote does work out to exactly the same price that we paid through PP before.  But for expedited domestic parcel it does sound like it is a lower discount than we used to get. We are supposed to get 18% off of counter prices. For the parcel that lady stark described the regular parcel counter rate would be $15.45.  (I'm using regular parcel since expedited isn't shown as a counter rate and there is not that much of a price difference between the two)  18% off of that would between $12 and $13. Although I know that there is more to the calculation that that, I do think that our previous rate was closer to $13 than to the $14.27 that we used to pay.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

It is my understanding that the rate of discounts are based on a seller's Solutions for Small Business shipping volume level, which to me translates as to those high volume sellers will have higher discounts than low volume sellers. So for me as a low volume seller, using Shippo is more hassle than what it's worth and simply not worth the bother..

My understanding is the eBay discount is off your discounted Solutions for Small Business rate,

Those SfSB discounts are based on $$ spend per year on parcel services. The tier/level 1 is up to $2500/yr and is the basic discount, tier 2 is up to $5000/yr, tier 3 is up to $7500, tier 4 is over $7500 (and if you reach tier 4 it's time to consider a Canada Post commercial account). The higher levels get bigger discounts, the eBay discount is on top of the SfSB rate.

You consider your time to be more valuable than the money saved. For me the money saved was worth my time spent learning how to use goShippo -- in particular since most of my labels are Small Packet which get good eBay discounts.

-..-

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I know that you posted a number of times how it is not worth the bother for you to use Shippo although I'm not quite sure what problems you in particular have had while using it. However, there are ebay rates that are lower on Shippo than what you are getting on paypal or Canada Post.  I would much rather pay $8.39 for a 200 gr shipment to UK than the $10.11 that I think PP is charging.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

This is confusing. So what you are saying is that now that Canada Post gives the small business discounts online on their site and on Paypal is that some of the rates we receive on Shippo are small business rates such as with tracked packet international and that we have an extra discount above the business rate with the 5 services that you mention in your post. Is that right?   

Canada Post's calculator displays the over-the-counter rate by default if you're not signed in.

If you click on the "minimium online savings" button it will display the tier 1 rates.

If you are signed into your Solutions for Small Business account it should display your online discounted rates by default (not the counter rates).

The 5 parcel services I mentioned above are, as far as I can tell, the only ones that get an extra eBay discount. Everything else should match your Solutions for Small Business discount rate and will be the same discount regardless of whether bought from Shippo or PayPal or directly on the Canada Post website.

-..-

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Rarely ever use Small Packet. Most of my shipments are Light Packet, with the occasional Tracked Packet or Expedited. Also, Rarely ship outside of Canada and USA

Message 16 of 16
latest reply