A CANADIAN SELLING ON EBAY.COM - CAN'T SEE MY OWN ITEMS AND WORSE - NOT VISIBLE AT ALL ON EBAY.CA

I've already posted on the ebay U.S. discussion board - now it's time to take it to my fellow Canadians to see if anyone else is having this same problem.

I'm in Canada, list on ebay.com (U.S.) and ship both within Canada and to the U.S.  

As of about 2 weeks ago I can no longer see my items on either the U.S. or Canadian site.  I do a search by my seller name and it comes up with my having 0 items for sale (even though I have about a dozen). I do a search by any of the keywords in my titles and ditto - none of my items show. So essentially I've lost about a quarter of my customer base, since I very often sold within Canada.

I've asked U.S. ebayers  if they can see my items -  they can. I can also see myself if I log onto a proxy site that 'pretends' my IP address  in the U.S.

I've asked Canadian ebayers if they can see me - they CAN'T  and even a proxy site doesn't help me see my own items on the Canadian ebay site. 

Ten phone call to ebay help and I've gotten nowhere - their promise of putting in a technical report may or may not have happened, and as yet, no one has fixed this problem or offered any help.

Anyone else out there having the same problem in Canada?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

A CANADIAN SELLING ON EBAY.COM - CAN'T SEE MY OWN ITEMS AND WORSE - NOT VISIBLE AT ALL ON EBAY.CA

Are you showing a shipping cost to Canada on your listings? This is necessary in order for your items to be seen on .ca.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for the response and for the most intelligent thing anyone has said to me in all this time! No, actually I'm not, but what confuses me is that I have listed in exactly the same way for years and it wasn't until two weeks ago that this issue came up (until then, I was able to see myself on both sites and Canadians were able to see me, despite not having a price plugged in for Canadian shipping).

That may  explain why I can't be seen by others on the ebay.ca site, but why oh why can I not see MYSELF on either site, nor do a search for my own items on either site? I certainly do have a shipping price listed for shipping to the U.S. so theoretically, I should be able to see myself at least on ebay.com?  I thought it might be a browser problem, but I've tried every browser under the sun, all to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can provide....

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

You did have a similar issue about a year ago.  Same cause for the problem: no shipping charge to Canada.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Sales-dropped-99-suddenly-Am-I-on-a-mysterious-eBay-black...

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

You can't see yourself on .com because your shipping location is for Canada. If you change your location to the U.S. with a U.S zip code at the top of the page, you should be able to see your listings. You're right that up until recently, most Canadian buyers would probably be seeing your items because you do state that you ship to Canada. They would have been seen at the bottom of the search because there was no specified shipping cost for Canada ( as mentioned in the other thread that Pierre referred to). It looks as if they have changed something though and now Canadians can't see your listings at all if they don't have a shipping price listed.

Another change that I noticed...in the past if I changed my location to the U.S. I would be able to see U.S. only listings on .ca but now that doesn't seem to be possible because I can't see your listings on .ca even with a U.S. zip code.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Finally an answer!  I will work on getting all this fixed now that I know the problem - I can't thank you all enough!

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I've had the same problem in the past. eBay is so protective about .com over .ca? I still don't understand the difference-We are all so tightly connected is it really that big of a deal to bother separating the two? 

I find that there are even bigger problems on eBay. They have become so big that they no longer care about the casual home seller. All they want to do is attract the large volume sellers and don't get me started on how ridiculously biased they are to buyers on absolutely every dispute. Go F--- the seller! That seems to be their stand. 

I feel for you, but if you don't check and double check every possible solution yourself don't expect any real help. They really don't give 2 cents about you! 

Myself, I think I've had enough of eBay! Used to be they were the only game in town, there are other sites popping up that will get the results you need. eBay is just too expensive and full of biased BS that as a seller it really isn't worth it these days. Look around and you will find greener pastures. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I think you're absolutely right.  Ebay for some reason doesn't consider the seller as valuable as the buyer, which is a huge mistake, as we too are their customers and absolutely deserve equal treatment.  I really will have to reconsider this venue  - I'm sure you're right about there being other sites that would work equally well.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Well, just in went to try to add Canadian shipping costs and....can't do it!! I suppose it's because I'm listing on ebay.com rather than ebay.ca? Has anyone out there figured out how to list on ebay.com and plug in Canada as your international option with specified shipping ?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

You have to use a flat rate and use the option of either economy, standard or expedited shipping from outside of the U.S.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Actually, it turned out to be a case of having to switch my primary selling to .ca and my international to U.S.(does make some sense, lol!) Thanks one and all for your help....

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I just realized that I goofed up in my reply to you. When I said that you should use a flat rate and use the option of either economy, standard or expedited shipping from outside of the U.S. I should have written that would be for the U.S.  I see that you already realize that. 🙂  But in the international section you should list Canada as a flat rate using either Int'l economy, Int'l  standard or Int'l  expedited shipping. If you look at any of my wallet listings, they should be set up something like that as they are all on .com.

Right now there is still no shipping cost for Canada showing other than on your one .ca listing. I can only see that one listing unless I go to .com and switch my location to the U.S. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Yes, I thought I'd try with just one test case first to see how it goes. Thanks for that other info - much appreciated!

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Hi,

Could you tell me exactly how you got your listings to show up to canadian buyers? I am having the same problem and not very computer literate. Thank you.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Just wondering if you realize that your listings are still not showing up for Canadians.Did you try making the changes?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Your situation seems to be different because you are using freight to ship. I'm not sure how to fix it so I will mention the problem to one of the ebay reps to see what he can do.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Actually, yes I did, on one item. If I remember correctly, I listed on ebay.ca and specified Canadian shipping costs and U.S. shipping costs. It did work, but I believe there was some extra level of complication, so I ended up going back to listing exclusively on ebay.com (since I rarely had Canadian buyers, it didn't seem worth the effort, and at least I know that I can do it, if I really want to).

Thanks so much!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@skippy527 wrote:

Actually, yes I did, on one item. If I remember correctly, I listed on ebay.ca and specified Canadian shipping costs and U.S. shipping costs. It did work, but I believe there was some extra level of complication, so I ended up going back to listing exclusively on ebay.com (since I rarely had Canadian buyers, it didn't seem worth the effort, and at least I know that I can do it, if I really want to).

Thanks so much!

Yes you did list one item on .ca but that wasn't the change that I was referring to. I was under the impression that you wanted to list on .com and ofter shipping to Canadians as well as to the U.S. so I explained in post 12 how to do that.  You can do that in bulk edit or individually or if it is too much bother,  not do it at all.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Yes!, I as well signed out of my account, went to Ebay.com because as of the big change (but I still see foreign currency on ebay,ca??) my sale plummeted.I knew we were all told this change wouldn't affect our sales because our ads would be visible on .com too, but mine took a huge hit. So, I had a suspicion my ads weren't showing up in .com. Sure enough searched for my items, not found. Went page by page without specifically searching, not found. Not very happy...

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Same question as before-- do you have shipping to the USA enabled on dotCA?

Do you have shipping to Canada enabled on dotCOM?

When you use Calculated Shipping on dotCA (you can't use it on dotCOM and ship from Canada) are you sure the service you are using matches the dimensions and weight you are entering?

It is useful, while you are uploading new listings to take a moment and see what is and is not showing in your Shipping tab.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply