Clarinet listings, eBay.ca

Hi, your eBay.ca woodwind listings, clarinet section, are all buggered up. You're using United Statsian names. We don't use those here in Canada. In Canada it's Eb soprano, Bb/A alto, Eb tenor, Bb bass, Eb bass, and BBb contrabass.

The United Statsian version is Eb sopranino, Bb/A soprano, Eb alto, Bb bass, Eb contra-alto, and BBb contrabass.

Canada uses UK designations, for both brass and woodwinds. We play UK brass and concert band arrangement, and follow the British Brass Band tradition.

United Statsians call the Eb tenor horn the Eb "alto" horn. This is incorrect. The Bb trumpet and cornet play in the alto range.

United Statsia likes to bugger international systems to make them United Statsian. Problem is, they make absolutely no sense in the real world. The voices for strings, woodwinds, brass, and strings, are supposed to match the Human voice. That's why they're termed "voices", "voicings", etc.

The 4 designations are:

Soprano (voice) = Eb clarinet, Eb trumpet, Eb cornet, C flute, violin, and Bb saxophone, because it's a conical instrument with different range characteristics that match its Eb soprano counterparts.

Alto (voice) = Bb/A clarinet, Bb trumpet, Bb cornet, Eb saxophone, Eb alto trombone, F "French" Horn, viola.

Tenor (voice) = Eb tenor clarinet, Bb tenor saxophone, Eb contralto trumpet, Bb "French" Horn, Bb tenor trombone, Cello.

Bass (voice) = Bb bass clarinet, Eb baritone sax, Bb tuba, Bb/F bass trombone, CC/F bassoon, string bass

Low Bass (voice) = Eb bass clarinet, Bb bass sax, EEb tuba, contrabass trombone, contrabassoon.

This is eBay.ca, not eBay United Statsia. A lot of us musicians find the use of United Statsia designations really annoying and offensive. Please fix your listings.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

These are buyer and seller forums. eBay staff do not read most of these messages.

You can post in the Weekly Chat Session forum where an eBay Canada staff member is involved (next session/thread is open Wednesday, December 7). After that nothing until January.

-..-

eBay is a USA company so I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

So the designations used are not wrong, just different?

And since you are able to clearly explain the equivalences between the names, I guess that most other clarinet players would too.

Keep in mind that most Canadian sellers find most of their customers outside of Canada, with well over 80% in the USA, no matter what the category.

Frankly, it's like objecting to calling a light fleece jacket a 'hoodie' instead of a 'bunnyhug'. Only a problem if you want it to be.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

No, I'm saying that the designations are both wrong and different.

When in Canada, you use Canadian designations. None of this US-throwing-its-weight-around nonsense.

And since I was able to clearly explain that, eBay should easily be able to do its job and fix this problem.

No, it's not like using terms like "hoodie", "bunnyhug", and "kangaroo shirt". We're not talking about regional fashion affectations. We're talking about musical designations that have been in use since the early 19th century.

I don't give a rat's **bleep** how things are done in United Statsia. This is Canada.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply