How to change currency view to Canadian

How do I change my currency view to Canadian funds?

My account shows I am Canadian, I am on eBay.ca, and yet, even when I click to only show items located in Canada, it still shows the pricing in US and then below shows the approximate value in Canadian funds.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

You may be referring to a totally different transaction but you do have a recent feedback from a Canadian seller who has their listings in $US. If you look at their items on the Canadian site in search view, you will see the cost in Canadian dollars but it has been converted from $US.  If you click into their listing, you will see that is in $US so that amount is what they would convert to GBP. 

The $US amount would be less than the $C amount given in the search view so the total should work quite similar.

For example..one of that seller's listings shows as being US$11.99. In search view it shows as C$15.40.  According to xe.com. $US11.99 would be converted to 8.43GBP and C$15.40 would be 8.47GBP. You would have paid slightly more as Paypal and banks do  have a 2.5% conversion charge. Check the listing again and the $US amount that your conversion was based on should be less than the $C amount you saw in search. I hope that makes sense.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Usually for a url item on E-bay from different country I would replace it to "ca.".

I.E. I would  replace "co.uk" to "ca"

It would say Approximately C $

But usually after calculation  it is always more than the approx. amount I find because that doesn't include the conversion fee.

So that is why I always buy items listed in C $ , since I know that is what I would be paying for when it is listed in Canadian dollars.

Zhong

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Its not dumb for eBay:)

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

What i have done is setup a account in a canadian bank or credit union and only have U.S funds in it. This way you can shop for best exchange rates , put the  U.S funds in that account , tie that in with PayPal only, or a second account that you only put enough in for that transaction. This prevents Pay Pal taking out more than they should, this has been the case on reports read. It,s simple and YOU control everything. Thi is a little off the question at hand , which has been answered anyways. [ Ebayer]

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

"What i have done is setup a account in a canadian bank or credit union and only have U.S funds in it"

When did you do that and how is it working out for you?

Do you buy or sell on eBay (and/or elsewhere online) that much it is worth the time and effort?

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

I was just on ebay.ca and did bidding on something that showed me a CANADIAN PRICE to begin with but then after I won I noticed that it showed me an American price and how my total with shipping was one set cost for Ebay.ca.  When I went to Paypal I noticed that the price I was supposed to pay was hugely increased to some other number,(Ebay was $376.75 American and in Canadian on today's exchange rate is $489.81 CAD)  but upon going to pay using Paypal that $489.81 that I'm supposed to only pay jumped to $503?  The seller lives in the same city and country as I reside in yet Ebay sets up an initial shipping cost for international shipping when it isn't required for this purchase and there isn't any price drop because of that, plus the shipping cost is in American again plus the sales tax for my area is in American while the whole time I did the purchase and bids based on seeing the goods selling in CAD funds?  How does Ebay Canada go about charging a fee with a domestic sale and if it isn't how does PayPal go about that when it shows on their webpage that domestic purchases from a domestic seller are free from fee's. 

I looked at the cost difference of what ebay shows for products in Canadian and US funds and the numbers don't jive according to the current currency rates and paypal is just a scam artist on their own because they obviously create their own currency exchange rates or hidden fees that you only see when it comes time to pay via your paypal account.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

If a Canadian seller sets the selling price in US$ - and most still do - the transaction will be in US$ and payment by the buyer must be in US$.

In some instances, Canadian buyers will contact Canadian sellers and arrange payment in Canadian dollars (using the equivalent converted value shown on eBay) and some sellers may agree.  It is a bit complicated as sellers need to send an invoice through PayPal in Cdn$ and manually adjust their eBay account. This procedure allows both buyers and sellers to save on the currency conversion fee charged by PayPal.

As far as the difference in converted value, that is relatively easy to explain.

When a price is in US$ and the listing is viewed on eBay-Canada, eBay will offer an approximate value in Cdn$ by converting the US$ value in Cdn$ using the exchange rate available at the beginning of the day.

However, when PayPal payment is made, the conversion used for the transaction will be the conversion rate in effect at that time plus 2.5% conversion fee.  That fee is competitive with the fee charged by most Canadian banks and credit card issuers for retail transactions.  So, if the wholesale rate is US$100= Cdn$ 130 (for example) PayPal will charge US$100=Cdn$ 133.25.  Similarly, the seller will receive only the conversion of US$100=Cdn$ 126.75 ($130 less 2.5% conversion fee).

The difference between $133.25 and $126.75 is called the conversion "spread" or the fee charged by the financial institution to convert currencies.

One may not like it but, so far it is relatively easy to understand.

Now, yesterday was somewhat different and unusual.  Why?  Because of the decision by British voters to leave Europe in their referendum.  That decision had a huge effect on currency conversion rates across the world, including the Canadian dollar. 

So while eBay provides an approximation based on the opening exchange rate, the transaction through PayPal would be made by the rate in effect at time of payment. Yesterday, the fluctuation from the beginning to the end of the day was more than 2% at one point.(from $0.785 to $0.765).  Take a look at the chart:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=CADUSD%3DX+Interactive#{%22range%22:%225d%22,%22allowChartStackin...}

So, do not blame eBay or PayPal for the conversion rates.  Yesterday was the result of the British referendum decision creating unusually extreme fluctuations in currencies worldwide.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

You may prefer to look at the chart showing the Cdn$ value.  It shows a low of almost $1.27 and a high of almost $1.31 before ending at $1.30

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDCAD%3DX+Interactive#{%22range%22:%225d%22,%22allowChartStackin...}

Most unusual day indeed!

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

just make sure you're signed into ebay.ca not ebay.com and it shows automatically

@throbinson wrote:

How do I change my currency view to Canadian funds?

My account shows I am Canadian, I am on eBay.ca, and yet, even when I click to only show items located in Canada, it still shows the pricing in US and then below shows the approximate value in Canadian funds.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

My god, this is simple.  In ebay.ca, search for any product you want (absolutely anything)... there is a "view" tab at the upper right cornere... select "customize"... and one of the options is "display in Canadian currency".... voila, all prices in Canadian dollars.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

you have to go www.ebay.ca (not ebay .com) and you will able to see your item.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

You are on ebay.com just change to ebay.ca, you will see all of the same listings but the prices will show in Cdn. funds.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

totally agree but if I buy something listed in us currency I have to know what it will cost me in cdn before checkout ... right?

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

It shows this guy's immaturity to have that damned and obnoxious Yoga on his page, like people think its even cute anymore. Yoga if you can't answer the question get off the forum.

@lowca56 wrote:

Alright, dude, from what I've read, you keep basically saying the same thing, without really answering the question. I'm in the same boat as the other guy, a Canadian who wants to see the price listed in CAD, not USD. It has nothing to do with what the seller wants for currency, because when i pay with CAD, it gets converted to USD. So when Ebay says "Approx. CAD dollar value" or whatever, i want to see that price.

Yes, I understand the CAD and USD fluctuate in value, but if Ebay can put an approximation, then it clearly is not unable to put a relatively accurate price. Yes, conversion fees, but that can be shown somewhere, like in the checkout. When i'm shopping online and i have a budget for what i want, i end up spending more than i have because of the conversion, i dont really think about it. And i mean, I'm a fairly smart guy, but i dont want to be checking my bank account and re-budgeting every time i make a purchase, going online to find the current exchange rate, yadda yadda yadda.

I want to see one price that I will pay, even if it's off by a small bit because the value of the CAD and USD hasn't been updated by Ebay's servers. I'd rather lose a few cents because the conversion is slightly off than a few dollars because i hadn't checked all the changes and do all the math, re-budgeting and all that fun stuff. 

I doubt doing that would take much programming at all on Ebay's side, although thats not really the topic, just making a point that it wouldn't be a hard thing to do, so it should already be possible.

Now, back to what the original guy was asking, there should be a way to see the CAD value of an item posted in other currency, such as the USD. You clearly don't know how, according to your posts, if there is a way, let alone how to do it. But maybe someone else does. Because, as I said, I'd like to know a price at least close to what i'm paying as the main price (and the actual price in the poster's chosen currency listed underneath if need be), not something 30% lower than what i'd actually pay. 

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@oleandercreative wrote:

It shows this guy's immaturity to have that damned and obnoxious Yoga on his page, like people think its even cute anymore. Yoga if you can't answer the question get off the forum.

@lowca56 wrote:

Alright, dude, from what I've read, you keep basically saying the same thing, without really answering the question. I'm in the same boat as the other guy, a Canadian who wants to see the price listed in CAD, not USD. It has nothing to do with what the seller wants for currency, because when i pay with CAD, it gets converted to USD. So when eBay says "Approx. CAD dollar value" or whatever, i want to see that price.

Yes, I understand the CAD and USD fluctuate in value, but if eBay can put an approximation, then it clearly is not unable to put a relatively accurate price. Yes, conversion fees, but that can be shown somewhere, like in the checkout. When I'm shopping online and i have a budget for what i want, i end up spending more than i have because of the conversion, i don't really think about it. And i mean, I'm a fairly smart guy, but i don't want to be checking my bank account and re-budgeting every time i make a purchase, going online to find the current exchange rate, yadda yadda yadda.

I want to see one price that I will pay, even if it's off by a small bit because the value of the CAD and USD hasn't been updated by eBay's servers. I'd rather lose a few cents because the conversion is slightly off than a few dollars because i hadn't checked all the changes and do all the math, re-budgeting and all that fun stuff. 

I doubt doing that would take much programming at all on eBay's side, although that's not really the topic, just making a point that it wouldn't be a hard thing to do, so it should already be possible.

Now, back to what the original guy was asking, there should be a way to see the CAD value of an item posted in other currency, such as the USD. You clearly don't know how, according to your posts, if there is a way, let alone how to do it. But maybe someone else does. Because, as I said, I'd like to know a price at least close to what I'm paying as the main price (and the actual price in the poster's chosen currency listed underneath if need be), not something 30% lower than what I'd actually pay. 

If you are going to make a rude pointless post, at least get the name correct.

Yoda, not Yoga.

Yoda is a fictional character in the Star Wars franchise created by George Lucas, first appearing in the 1980 film The Empire Strikes Back.

Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

'm reading it in 2018

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

What i have done is setup a account in a canadian bank or credit union and only have U.S funds in it. This way you can shop for best exchange rates ,

You would be better off opening an RBCBank account through the Royal Bank of Canada.

It is an actual US bank, and a Royal Bank subsidiary.

You put your US funds in the RBCBank account, transfer them to a Royal Bank US dollar account. No foreign exchange.

Then if you want to have loonies, you only pay one lot of exchange to change currencies.

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date (notice reference to Brexit referendum) or inaccurate.

@happy_pigeon

Message 38 of 38
latest reply