Import charges not always the same when viewed on .com and .ca

I've only noticed this once before but obviously there is a problem with some items.

Item 221257682692  - Using an Alberta postal code, shipping charges show as $15.34 on both.com and .ca

Import charges on .ca show as $83.69, on .com as $20.08. Huge difference??

Buyer was charged $80 + (according to post 334)    http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/New-compulsory-Import-Fees-from-USA-to-Canada/td-p/71379/p...

It seems that this may be just a Canadian problem.. If the shipping destination is for the UK, the import charges are $128+ whether looking on .com, .ca or on the uk site.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

import charges on .com item 221257682692.jpgimport charges on .ca item 221257682692.jpg

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Actually, these import charge variations between .ca and .com have been going on for months on numerous items.

Just recently the import charges started to be shown on .fr.

I don't know how they are showing up on the other GSP listed countries.

This may be part of the reason for so many irate buyers and GSP sellers then drawing negative feedback and DSRs.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Similar problems with the charges were also reported from Australia.

Hard to understand how some members can endorse the GSP.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

PJ - you should ask the question on the .com thread today:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-July-24-2013/m-p/16647619/highl...

I thought about doing that but figured the .ca reps would pass the info on to the gsp people.

I had plenty of other things to say on that thread anyway.  lol

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:

Similar problems with the charges were also reported from Australia.

Hard to understand how some members can endorse the GSP.

I don't think its that anyone is endorsing it but simply pointing out that in some situations, the gsp may cost less than if the seller had shipped it themselves. Personally, I'm not in favor of the system but unlike some others, I do realize that it can be useful in some situations. However,  I do worry that some buyers will just give up on ebay altogher because they don't like the GSP.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I'd be interested in knowing if the person having the "$83 issue" with the GSP bid on the item on the .com site or the .ca site, and if it was a BIN as well as an auction.  Perhaps the import charges were calculated on the BIN price and not the bid price?

I have a feeling that I'm one of those eBay users whose posts about the GSP haven't been read and digested carefully enough and as a result I'm supposed a "GSP endorser" as well.  I haven't purchased anything through the GSP and probably won't unless I'm pretty sure it will work to my advantage and the likelihood of my wanting to return the item is so low to the point of being almost non-existant.

What the introduction of the GSP has made apparent to me, though, is how many eBayers now seem to be unaware of the fact that most personal imports by mail or any other carrier are subject to taxes and possibly even duties.  Because they've purchased items that haven't had these fees assessed on them by CBSA, they seem to think that eBay is grabbing all of these import charges for some reason, or else they think this system is somehow "unfair" when all the GSP is doing is the job that CBSA isn't doing with as much regularity as it used to.

I'm also gobsmacked by the number of posts from buyers complaining about the GSP's charges after they've purchased the item.  The import charges should be on the listing.  At the very least, there are links to further information on the program explaining the fees.  If they don't like how the program works or the fees it charges, why are these buyers purchasing the items anyway?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Kalvin, are the gsp people aware fo this problem?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply