Default currency suddenly Canadian - need US!

I am in Canada and have been selling off eBay.ca since 2008.  Whenever I list a new item, the default currency always came up US$.  In the last week, that default has suddenly changed to CAD$ and I have to change it manually to US$.  Since, for the last 7 years, it was always set at US$ and I never had to change it, I sometimes miss this step.  I just listed and sold an item for CAD$150, which was supposed to be listed at US$150.  EEEKK!!   This just cost me $30!!!  Anyone know how to change that default back?  Please help before I lose more money!!! 😞

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

On your listing page, you have the option of Can. or US $.  Top left corner is a drop down menu with option.  As of very recently, listings will show Can. $, so every time you list, you have to specify US.  You cannot revise an existing listings currency.  I too got caught.  I sacrificed 2 free listings.  I ended listings in order to relist with US $.  Not sure what advantage this inconvenience is to ebay.  We just have to be vigilant and check carefully, before hitting the "list" button.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I do know how to change the currency when making a listing, the problem is that I never had to before. The default currency was ALWAYS US. Suddenly, in this last week, it has changed to Canadian. Argggg.... I don't know what eBay has done. Any idea to change is PERMANEMTLY back to US? 😞
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I think we have to choose currency EVERY time we create a listing. I've also noticed a change in the format on the final page, where we actually "list". It no longer shows the currency, or any details.
You could try listing on ebay.com. Not sure if we can, but it's worth a try. We have to remember, ebay is an American company. They may just have decided, we foreigners have to choose between our local currency, or US $.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I didn't have to choose the currency EVERY time. The drop-down was there but it was defaulted to US $ and I only had to change it if I wanted to change it to Canadian. Now, for some reason, the default is Canadian. argh. So frustrating.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Lately there have been some changes, maybe this is one of them. The techs are constantly tweeking, mostly not to our advantage. Many others. who post here, are also frustrated with various issues, but short of giving up, there's not much we small sellers can do. The best suggestion I have for you is, revise your prices, before your items sell, or get bids.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The same thing happened to me.  Listed an item in Canadian dollars because I did not notice that ebay changed the default currency.  This is something that ebay needs to change back.  I always list in US dollars and having to switch currencies on every listing is a time consuming pain!  Ebay should have given notice to sellers before making a change like this.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi, There is no drop-down menu now. No matter how many times I click on the GO button, it stays at Canadian Dollars. What to do?!!!
It is lunacy to have to recalculate everything. Who can help us?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It's a strange change since ebay promotes listing in US dollars claiming it will get 20% more bids. I've noticed this and had to change it to US every single time I list. I hope this "error" is corrected SOON... Does ebay actually monitor these forums or do they simply not care ? my guess is the latter. I would suggest that everyone contact ebay by phone and ask that this be corrected, I will be doing this myself.

Ebay is the only website I know of that continually gets more difficult to use. it's frustrating for sure.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I cant believe they did this? With the dollar being so off right now this is the worst time they couldve done it. I noticed after 60 listings.....And to relist them all will be a pain. I just upped the price on every last one but now my paypal account will be all over the place with Canadian fund and US funds. 

Thanks Ebay.....like the other guy said. Would of been nice to have a warning. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Even if you go and change the currency to uS dollars it screws up your shipping and you have to redo it everytime

If you go to relist an item and edit the listing everything will stay the same except what you change but you are toast when you have no more items to relist

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yeah,I've called and they keep telling me they were "unaware of the issue but will check into it".. I've heard that one before.
it's amazing really, a website that can generate billions of dollars in revenue and it continually gets worse.

Keep calling I guess, I will too with the hopes that SOMEONE at Ebay actually works in the technical department... i mean what do these guys do, sit around trying to make it buggy ? They aren't solving any problems.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Man you said it...ebay execs should rot in Hell
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I have been on ebay since its very inception, and ebay was MORE RELIABLE twenty years ago. Now its a spectacular BUGFEST. Apparently they have outsourced the programming for years, so much so that nobody that works there now knows whats going on under the hood...

Same story at a lot of "big name software shops" ( I'm talkin to you, Adobe & Apple...)
Message 14 of 14
latest reply