Global shipping program scam

The global shipping program is a complete scam. Used items do NOT hold the same value as brand new items with TAGS! I've seen completely used up shoes with a value of $10 and an import charge of $200. You guys need to look into this because in Canada used goods DO NOT have import charges and if the value is ridiculously high the import charge is well under $30

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I agree. I always tell Canadian buyers to deal with US sellers who are willing to ship USPS.

Cheapest form of shipping for Canadians and you can avoid brokerage fees and import fees associated with companies such as Fed Ex and UPS.

As for the global shipping program: It's simply a money maker for Pitney Bowes who acts as the third hand shipping broker for Ebay. They will assess you their own shipping charges on top of the listed shipping price (presumably as a service fee) along with Import fees (duty and taxes)...

I avoid it at all cost!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Take a deep breath.

The poorly thought out and deeply flawed Global Shipping Program was not set up to help buyers in any way.

It's intention was to encourage US (and now UK) sellers to offer their items internationally. This was done by guaranteeing sellers that if they got their shipment safely to the GSP plant in Kentucky for transhipment out of the USA (all around the world, not just Canada), the seller would not be held responsible for slow delivery, 'lost' parcels, or complaints about foreign duties and taxes.

Now.

If your seller gave the value of those used shoes as $10, there would be NO duty or sales tax and the GSP/Pitney Bowes would not be collecting their $5 service charge. The minimum for assessment of charges is $20CDN (about $16 USD).

If the seller, for some dimwitted reason, gave the value as $100-- instead of the selling price-- that is not the fault of the GSP. There is no duty on  used goods, but there is sales tax. Even so sales tax on a $100 value would be between $5 and $17 depending on the province. 

What is the number of the listing in question?

I've seen completely used up shoes

Umm. You may be thinking these would be purchased at a low price by people who plan to wear them. While such innocence is refreshing, you have overlooked the fetish market. If you value your purity, do NOT look up 'used socks' on dotCOM under 'Mature'. Just don't.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I certainly avoid it at all cost as well unless I'm desperate!!! Ebay claims they post or tell you upfront the actual shipping and bogus import charges. Okay something I wanted and after watching it sit for many weeks I finally stepped up to the plate and selected purchase item. Now the scam begins and certainly not from the seller!! I then selected Commit to Buy. NOW when I went to pay for the item that I now was committed to purchase............the so-called shipping and import charges doubled, yes doubled. Not even close to the amount that was posted with the buy it now prices. This was a used vintage automobile item and I usually don't pay import charges on used low priced items my sellers ship to me using the very reasonably priced USPS. I know what these charges are and if there is any I pay at the Canada Post post office when I pick up the item. I ended up feeling angry and embarrassed when I canceled the item or purchase due to ridicules shipping and"import" charges. The seller was very fine to deal with and in turn priced out the shipping himself at USPS an then shipped it. Guess what? No import charges or  and lower shipping costs.
Here is another example in my long winded post. I had a seller with very fine very rare new reproduction parts. Many were very small very light items that could be thrown into an envelope. He had the number of items for sale and I could see how many were watching like myself. They sat for many weeks with not one purchase. I finally sent a message asking if Global Shipping  was my only option? The sellers response was he was a new ebay seller and didn't know how to opt out. I then informed him that the shipping prices were double the value of these very small items. Finally he was able to be shown how to opt out and posted "ask seller for a shipping quote etc" The shipping costs were now reasonable and I ended up purchasing well over $400 worth of quality parts off of this seller. Yes his items began to sell fast.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply