There's no easy way to report fraudulent sellers like this (and how do they do it anyway?!)

ashleedawg
Community Member

My son and I buy a lot of super-cheap "stuff" on eBay, mostly since he has so much fun getting packages in the mail all the time, sometimes lame, sometimes cool.  We both know "you get what you pay for", as in, sometimes the 5¢ thing takes 6 months, or doesn't show up at all or is broken.  We don't make a fuss about it and in fact we give perfect feedback anyway.

However when I come across sellers who are blatantly trying to deceive buyers, blatantly breaking multiple policies, I figure it's my duty to take the time to click "Report", to "give back" and help "protect the community".

But then there's the cases like shown in the attached image (hopefully the image is legible, 'cuz it's frikkin' huge!)

I've seen this multiple times, and I'm kind of perplexed...  Today as an example:

- We checked the Arts & Crafts category, sorted by "ending first" with "free shipping only".  Oh look, a bracelet-thing, 1¢, Free Shipping, Ending in 15 seconds, with zero bids.  Click - Click - and we just spent ~$4.

- We clicked back to the listing, and shipping's listed as almost $4. Clicked back to the search results, and it says Free Shipping.

- Maybe it's an anomaly, no biggie... then I look at the next 38 Listings, multiple sellers but identical items,and all say "Free Shipping" in the search results but $4-ish (CAD) in the listing.

Question #1 : HOW do they do this?  Some of the ads appear to have been "updated" 15 minutes before the auction closes, but others have been like that for hours. Surely the website has measures in place to prevent stuff like this.  Is there hacking going on?

I did notice that the time zones are a little weird on some of the ads (ie., Auction Ending in PST but updated in EST)

Reporting this is practically impossible unless I had the patience to go through that Report form 38+ times, try to keep them organized, etc. 

Question #2 : How come the absolute only, no-matter-what, method of contacting eBay for anything is by phone? I understand how it improves customer service in most ways, but there is the occasional time that it would be helpful to send them an email...  like the attached image, so they can do whatever they decide to do, but they have the facts in front of them. 

I did call in once previously about a similar issue, and it ended up being almost an hour-long call with the agent because I basically had to read and re-read dozens of item numbers, dates, prices, etc.  Even the poor agent said it would save everybody time & effort if there was an email address for certain situations (perhaps with an email-auth-code like when calling in)

Anyhow, I'm just a little frustrated, so in lieu of emailing that image to eBay I posted it here,

(Sorry it's one giant image, but it will only let me attach one file.)

View Entire Topic

There are two possibilities that jump to my mind.

1) Free Shipping is to the USA.

• Are you looking at the dotCA or the dotCOM site? Free Shipping on the Sell Your Item form only shows for domestic shipping.
  • Auction Ending in PST-- the dotCOM site is in PST while the dotCA site is in dotCA . So I suspect you are switching back and forth.

2)The sneaky seller is charging you not for 'shipping' but for 'insurance'.

• You only have to pay the advertised shipping cost.

In any case.

If the deal is not what you thought, don't keep clicking and agreeing. You will see the real costs including shipping BEFORE you are asked to agree.

If the deal is not what you thought, don't pay. While (especially as a seller, myself) this is not something I like to say, the worst situation is that the seller can open an Unpaid Item Dispute. But scammers won't do that, because they don't want eBay looking at their sketchey listings.

Since you are doing this as a family fun thing, it seems a good place to help your child learn about media literacy and how to shop. Checking actual costs. Checking what you really are buying (a Ferrari or a picture of a Ferrari?) (It's been done.)

And when he spots the problem first, praise him for it.

or doesn't show up at all or is broken.  We don't make a fuss about it and in fact we give perfect feedback anyway.

Please don't do this. Part of the media literacy thing.

You can open a Dispute with Paypal for 180 days from payment. Do it.

It's a learning opportunity.

Ask a Question