Why was I charged when the promotion said keep all your cash for the first 5 items?

I responded to the "Sell 5 Items For Free, for a limited time, save BIG on selling fees, and keep ALL the cash when your item sells" promotion from Ebay.ca. Now I am being charged for selling an item... please explain what is free about this offer, and why I am not allowed to keep all the money? Why am I being charged?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why was I charged when the promotion said keep all your cash for the first 5 items?

That promo was easily misconstrued. Basically, you were allowed to list five items and if THOSE items sold, you shouldn't be charged for it but any and all other items you would. So if, after listing your special five, five or ten or twenty different ones sold, you're charged for those. 

What is the Promotion?
Eligible sellers who activate the offer and then list in the fixed price, auction-style, or auction-style with Buy It Now format, pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth herein ("Qualifying listings"), will pay no insertion fee and no final value fees per item sold ("Promotion") for the first five listings that were created during the Promotion Period, as defined below. 5-, 7-, 10-, 30-day, and Good 'Til Cancelled listing durations are included; 1- and 3-day listing durations are excluded. All existing selling limits on your account (as well as category and item limits) still apply, and may prevent you from creating the maximum number of listings in this Promotion. The Promotion is in addition to the free listings per month as part of the everyday rate plan.

Please note that free insertion fees and free final values will be applied to the seller's first five listings created after activating the Promotion.

and

How do I receive the Promotion? 
Eligible sellers will automatically receive the Promotion after they activate the Promotion on the Promotion landing page, and then create Qualifying Listings on the US site at www.ebay.com, eBay Motors at www.ebay.com/motors (Parts & Accessories and Automotive Tools & Supplies only), or eBay Canada at www.ebay.ca through the Sell Your Item form, eBay Seller Tools, eBay Mobile applications, and most third-party tools. Any listings created prior to the time of activation will not be eligible for the Promotion. Please note, the Promotional Rate may not be shown during the listing process. Instead, the discount will be reflected in the "View Account Status" section in My eBay, as well as in your next invoice.

Restrictions & Exclusions.

• The Promotion excludes items listed with 1- or 3-day duration.
  • Only single quantity listings are eligible for this Promotion. Listings in which multiple items are being sold through the same listing are not eligible.
  • All Qualifying Listings must comply with all applicable eBay policies, including eBay's Duplicate Listing policy that allows for the removal of duplicate fixed price listings.
  • The Promotion excludes listings created prior to a seller activating the offer or with a start date prior to Friday, October 16, 2015 (including those listings revised during the Promotion Period). Additionally, the Promotion excludes listings that are created during the Promotion Period, but scheduled to start after the Promotion Period. Listings created prior to Friday, October 16, 2015, but after a seller activates the Promotion, which are scheduled to start during the Promotion Period, are eligible for the Promotion.

If you met all those criteria and still were charged, you'll have to call Customer Service and ask the reason. Maybe there was an error. Or maybe they need to show you the spot where you were credited for the debit or debited for the credit since they like to make a show of charging you a fee and then discounting the equal amount so that you can see how great a deal it is under the promo. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You also had to formally 'activate' that offer.  I hope you did? 

Please note: Eligible sellers must activate the Promotion by selecting "Activate offer" in the invitation email or on the Promotion landing page. Items listed prior to a seller activating the Promotion will not be eligible for the Promotional Rate. Registration may be required if an eBay account has not already been created.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@collectique88 wrote:

I responded to the "Sell 5 Items For Free, for a limited time, save BIG on selling fees, and keep ALL the cash when your item sells" promotion from Ebay.ca. Now I am being charged for selling an item... please explain what is free about this offer, and why I am not allowed to keep all the money? Why am I being charged?

As mjwl2006 mentioned the fine print needs to be read.

When the offer was activated by you the next 5 listings you posted on eBay.ca (and the next 5 listings you posted on ebay.com) qualified for no fees IF they sold.  Listings you already had up or posted later DID NOT qualify.

In my case, I put together 10 items that I thought would be good for this offer -- likely to sell and FVF savings that would be of some value.

I activated the offer on the last day, posted 5 on .ca and 5 on .com -- and used the notes feature to mark the items that qualified (that way I don't forget).

Of the 10 listings, 3 have already sold and there were no final-value-fees charged.

-.-

eBay is not doing this to be nice -- they are collecting data to see what items sellers put up for this type of offer, plus they see the success rate: how many items actually sell.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply