Why am I getting less than a 1/4 of the results searching on ebay.ca than ebay.com?

I have run the same searches every day for years. Lately on ebay.ca, I get only a fraction of the number of results I had gotten used to. Out of curiosity, I tried searching on the US site and got the full amount of results  that I used to get on the Canadian site. For instance, a search of "antique porcelain" in "worldwide" on the Canadian site yeilded 48,617 while the same search on the US site yeilded 197,343.

Why is eBay Canada being filtered to show drastically fewer results? I find this so infuriating that it convinces me close my account. After all, as an ebay canada member I can't shop on the US site. If the search results are not restored, I can definitely see myself closing my account.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Why am I getting less than a 1/4 of the results searching on ebay.ca than ebay.com?

Possibly the difference is because a lot of the Sellers you see on eBay.com don't ship to Canada so they don't show up on the .ca site. Sellers can decide which countries they wish to ship to.

You can, of course, shop on the US site but you need to make sure the seller ships to Canada.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

My issue has only been in the last couple weeks and even then not consistently. The other day for example, I would get a similar number to the US site briefly but when I went to the next page of results, the numbers would be greatly reduced again. Really, I have run the same searches every day for a decade. The numbers were always fairly consistent until about ten days ago when suddenly three quarters of the results were missing. I don't think thousands upon thousands of sellers suddenly stopped shipping to Canada. This has to be an ebay filtering issue.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Also, this would be an issue for those sellers whose listings are not being seen.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for pointing that out.  As a seller of English tea cups, among other things, my views and visits to my listings have dwindled to 

near 0.  I suspect this type of product does not fit the business plan here.  Eventually those of us with antiques, collectibles and preowned stuff will no longer be visible.  Sellers will have to try to figure out which words in the title, triggers the bots to either block or allow a search.  when I have searched certain items, the results have absolutely nothing to do with what I was searching.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi

I`ve also run the same searched for years & I`m having the same problem for the last 2 or 3 days.

When I search for antique dolls, only 4,000 or so come up & that`s with selecting all catagories  & worldwide.  I use to get approx. 34,000 listing.  If I go to the US site there is 40,000 or more.  If I shop on the US site it doesn`t show the converted price in Canadian dollars.

What is going on Ebay, don`t you want us Canadians to buy on Ebay anymore?

There`s more sites other than Ebay where we can spend our money.

Would someone please look into this & fix it.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I got similar results as what you did for antique porcelain. When I broke the search down to Canada only or North America only, the Canadian site still had approximately 25% of the listings that the US did.

I tried a few other searches or other items and there was still a difference on the two sites but the differences were quite a bit less than in the antique porcelain search.

I'm not sure why you would say that you can't shop on the US site. Any ebay member can shop on any of the ebay sites.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that they haven't been showing the price in Canadian dollars in the listings on .com. That's really odd.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't think I can sign in to the US site with my ebay.ca login which means I can't put anything in my cart. It's been a while but that is how it has gone in the past. I just want the admin to restore the searches to the number they used to give.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hi

You should not have a problem signing into eBay.com.  It is the same as signing into eBay.ca.  You can also bring up your "My eBay" through the US site.  Give it a try.  

I don`t like using it because like I said  they don`t put what it will cost in Canadian dollars.

Good luck

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I gather pinetreecottage lists in loonies on dotCA, since her items are shipping by parcel.

I just checked pinetreecottage's listings on dotCA and on dotCOM (using 90210 as location on dotCOM as well as my own).

I got both currencies when I looked at dotCOM, with either the zipcode or the postal code.

But if a listing were in US dollars on dotCOM, then they would show as USD on dotCOM but in both currencies of dotCA.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I just realized today after over a week of not seeing many many listings.  Usually I see over 1000 listings and now I only see like 300.  Like others, I have to log into .com to see the 1000+ listings.  I missed out on many many auctions I would have been interested in.

The Sellers are both Canadian and American and I pay in both currencies.  I'm in Canada and the Canadian Sellers with payment in CAD are missing from my search in .ca although some come through but not all from the Seller.

Not only am I losing out but the Sellers are losing out.

No solutions?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Today I went searching for a Betsy Johnson cupcake locket/pendant.

Only two returns in a .ca search, and they where in the States.

I decided to browse around and found a third listing same item, almost identical title but on .ca.

Why was it not included in the original search?

What that says to me, no wonder you did not sell anything in the first week of Oct?

I have two stores and 4 sites, it was a little like why bother paying store fees if your not going to make enough to cover them?

BTW, decided to run the search again, A few more returns this time. 

Clicked in Canada Only that seller should be steaming since it did not show up. 

I like to wave my sword at windmills. You rarely get anywhere but it's fun to try.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I just wanted to thank ebay for fixing the problem with the listings.

I can now use ebay.ca & see all the listings in antique dolls, not just 1/4 of them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply