eBay pages being redirected to unsafe websites

Anyone else having this issue? When I have ebay.ca open, suddenly the page will load another page with no prompting, and this page is indicated as unsafe by my antivirus. I'm assuming it's the ad scripts running on ebay, as I've heard of this with other websites, but never one like ebay. Thankfully my antivirus has kept my computer clean by blocking the pages, but a site like ebay should really be paying attention to what's running on their website. Wish they'd fix the issue, when this kind of thing happens on another page, I can just avoid that website and their sketchy issues. That's not really an option when you sell on ebay.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I am not a tech expert by any stretch of the imagination but what you describe to me sounds less like a problem with ebay and more like a problem with malware on your computer. Are you certain you're using an up-to-date reputable anti-virus software from a real and reputable company? Because some of the freeware anti-virus software that you can download is actually malware masquerading as anti-virus software. 

I'm sure other more tech-savvy members will be around the thread shortly to assist. 

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Also, you should consider running an AdBlocker.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

@argenticspirit wrote:

Anyone else having this issue? When I have ebay.ca open, suddenly the page will load another page with no prompting, and this page is indicated as unsafe by my antivirus. I'm assuming it's the ad scripts running on ebay, as I've heard of this with other websites, but never one like ebay. Thankfully my antivirus has kept my computer clean by blocking the pages, but a site like ebay should really be paying attention to what's running on their website. Wish they'd fix the issue, when this kind of thing happens on another page, I can just avoid that website and their sketchy issues. That's not really an option when you sell on ebay.

I think you have malware on your computer.

Have you done a thorough check of your computer? Here is a copy of a post I make from time to time. I would definitely install the free Malwarebytes program to check your computer.

-----

If you have a Windows computer, try the following one at a time and see if it helps.

For a very good free tool to clean up your computer, download CCleaner from Piriform. Run it before and after each browser session. CCleaner by defaults will remove some useful cookies that are used to store some internet site preferences you might have. You might get prompted again when you go to an internet site. No problems with eBay.

One change you should make to the default settings in CCleaner is to delete information in the past 24 hours. By default CCleaner does not delete this. If you are having issues, you need to clean all of the cookies and cache and especially the current ones since they might have the problem.

You can download the free version of CCleaner here

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Choose the free version on the left, not the trial version on the right.

I have run CCleaner for 10+ years now and have had very few issues with browsing eBay and the Internet. Computer has been responsive and fast.

Another free tool you might want to have is AdBlockPlus. It is a browser addon that blocks most annoying ads on eBay and other sites. This will speed up your browsing since eBay is full of third party moving ads today.

https://adblockplus.org/

Just download and install it. It updates automatically so you never do anything to maintain it.

Next, you might want to download and install a free malware program to check you computer for stuff that might have been installed on your computer. This program is one of the best for finding malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Download the free version on the right. Run this program once and then every month or two as needed.

Last, I would recommend having more than one Internet browser installed on your computer. I use FireFox browser as my default browser and it has worked well over the years. I also have Internet Explorer installed and up to date but Internet Explorer usually has more issues with eBay and other sites so I rarely use it. I have Google Chrome browser installed as a backup browser but it has had more issues with eBay and PayPal over the years compared to FireFox. These browsers are all officially supported by eBay. I also have Opera browser installed which I find is a good Internet browser but not officially supported by eBay.

Do the above one at a time and check if they fix your issue. Still run all of them but try to find which fixes the issue. Using all of the above regularly should make your computer run faster and better than before

I hope this helps. Post back what you did and how it went so that other readers know if it helped.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Thank you, pocomo. You were exactly the member I was thinking of when I hoped someone would come by with offers of assistance with this particular problem. 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I'm getting this on every page I go to on ebay, but ONLY on ebay. I'm being redirected to the same website every time, a site which actually advertised on ebay some while ago I remember (and might still but I can't see the pages long enough to find out now), but my anti-virus doesn't seem to register as anything wrong.

Also every page on ebay plays music for some reason slowing everything down and annoying me to no end. Again, this happens ONLY on ebay.

I can't search or buy things. I'm extremely frustrated.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Time to update your adblocker filters; possibly your browser also.
Install uBlock Origin if you don't have one in your Firefox browser; 58.02 is the latest release.
If you are using IE or Chrome you could also delete any unwanted negligible extensions or addons such as AVG Safesearch or McAfee, etc. Also any hokie toolbars and search engines.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

In post 4 there are some links to sites where you can download malware on your computer. It sounds like that might be the problem.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

A good adblocker is UBlock. I would definitely also run a scan on your machine, as others have suggested.

Just to be on the safe side, if any other members experience this issue, please let me know.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Original Post was in February 2017.

Problem may have been corrected.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

That problem has probably been corrected but we can still  offer help to the person that posted today.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

I have pay anti virus which has a program for malware and it doesn't find anything.

Question; there are these ads at the bottom of the screen on most ebay pages, I'm not the only one seeing these am I? It's something about these which are doing it, because if I scroll down before they load and delete node on them it doesn't happen. But if I refresh the page or open a new one they come back, music starts and I'm re-directed again.

This ONLY happens on ebay.

And I am sorry for digging up an older post, as embarrassing as it is to admit, I could not figure out how to make a new thread so I went looking for one which seemed to have close to the same problem.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I don't see any of the ads you refer to because I have an ad blocker installed in my browser.
I also have a modified 'Hosts' file in my system that also blocks many intrusions.

Install uBlock Origin if you don't have one in your Firefox browser; 58.02 is the latest release.

It is also available for Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

So you don't actually know if the ads are there or not because you are blocking them? You might have misinterpreted what I was asking, I was wondering if the ads ARE there, not just something weird slipped into my computer which shows these ads. My reason for asking was; if the ads are there then something in the ad itself might be causing this. And I'm not sure how safe I view ebay anymore if they don't screen ads from such behaviors. But I don't know if that is the case, because I don't know if I'm the only one seeing them due to something strange I (and my anti virus) have not identified yet, which for some reason is only active on ebay.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

Something similar happened here on ebay.ca just yesterday ... I was browsing a random page when all of a sudden an audio file began to play, I assume the source was an ad of some sort but I didn't look about for the source ... closed the page immediately. 

I've been experiencing these autoplay audio files for quite awhile but not on a daily basis, maybe once a month for the last year.

Prior to yesterday something on my system would quickly block it in a second or two but yesterday's occurrence was different in that it was not going to be blocked so I exited.

I don't run a pop-up blocker beyond what Chrome, Edge or Firefox already offer and in my experience their built-in blocking capabilities have been sufficient up til now.

I do run IBM Trusteer Rapport when browsing ebay and any other site requiring an extra layer of protection. Trusteer Rapport is a useful browser extension that blocks key loggers, unauthorized screenshots and a bunch of other activities, not sure if it has any ad-blocking capability or not. Pretty much all of the major banks recommend or even require it's use as part of their online fraud guarantees.

https://www.trusteer.com/en/support/post-download-pc

Label me crazy or paranoid if you like but I'm leery of adding browser extensions offered by little known app developers so no third party ad blockers for me. 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

I have been getting redirected on 4 different computers - 2 at work and 2 at home.  As soon as I log in and access my selling tab, the following website opens up in the same tab:

https://www.gamiss.com/

Not unsafe, but this shouldn't be happening....

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

If that were happening here I would be clearing my browser cache to get rid of temporary files including cookies ... may fix the problem, maybe not, if not then further steps would be taken. FYI clearing cookies will sign you out of most sites so make note of user ids and passwords first. 

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

That's the same one that keeps taking over the pages on ebay for me too.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

This doesn't sound right. I'm going to tag the ebay Canada staff person who (thankfully) helps to investigate or explain issues that arise on the board. @happy_pigeon

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@sanguisvitaewrote:

So you don't actually know if the ads are there or not because you are blocking them? You might have misinterpreted what I was asking, I was wondering if the ads ARE there,

If the ad is blocked it does not load. It is not there on your machine.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply