Advice on taking pictures

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on how to take pictures of a reflective surface, such as the bottom of a CD, in order to more accurately capture the condition of the surface without any reflections showing.

I've been doing some research online and have found some good articles, but I'm not a photographer nor do I have access to any of the professional equipment recommended. I'm hoping someone may have some advice on how to take good pictures of reflective surfaces at home with minimal to no extra equipment.

Any advice you can pass on would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

- Chris

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I do not have help on CDs but here is a link to practical photography for eBay sellers by eBay member camerajim. It was written 10 years ago but is still current.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I do not have help on CDs but here is a link to practical photography for eBay sellers by eBay member camerajim. It was written 10 years ago but is still current.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What happens when you scan it?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the link, pocomocomputing. There seems to be some good (and cheap!) ideas for taking good pictures of reflective surfaces. I'll have to do some more thorough reading of the material there tomorrow.

reallynicestamps, I've never actually tried scanning the bottom of a CD before. I may just have to test that out to see if that's a worthwhile solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Something quick that might work...

Hold a piece of white paper in your free hand above the cd in an angle so that it 'dulls' the reflection.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestions, pjcdn2005. I'll give that a try.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply