Buyer Wanted Me To Lower Value Of Item On Custom's Form

I sold an item to a UK buyer. After they paid they asked me to put a lower value on the custom's form so they don't have to pay duties. It wasn't even a high priced item. I will not do that as it is just wrong & unethical.  This person is also a seller so they should know better than to ask that.  I told the person that I have never had a problem sending from Canada to the UK & no one has ever complained of having to pay duty. I am afraid that when they receive the item & see that I put the actual cost they may give me negative feedback. Would I be able to get it removed if I can show the correspondence with them through e-mail? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you haven't shipped the item yet then ask if the buyer wants to cancel the transaction because declaring the full amount on the customs form is your selling policy. 

Also send it with a Tracking Number unless it's a cheaper item that you can afford to lose if the buyer opens a "item not received" claim.

If you shipped the item already then check the buyers "feedback left for others" to see what type of buyer your dealing with..... this of course should have been done prior to doing any business.

If there's no negatives then chances are that the buyer won't leave negative feedback for paying duty.

If the buyer is problematic and has left negative feedback for other sellers then anything possible....

Chances are nothing will happen but you will loose him as a repeat buyer or he may refuse acceptance of the package and it will end up being shipped back to you at a return shipping cost.

I

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had some International buyers asking me to lower the $$ on custom forms and I explained that since they are being shipped with tracking number which includes insurance, therefore I have to declare the true full value for the purpose.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Lowering the value on Customs is fraud. Don't do it. There is an ebay policy somewhere that strictly prohibits this type of request and you should certainly contact ebay to Report the Buyer for doing so. 

If you do decide to complete the transaction, ship with tracking. At least, that's what I would do. Canada Post Electronic Shipping is offering a lower rate of tracked packet with your Solutions for Small Business account than does paypal shipping at present. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Any buyer who is willing to defraud his government (especially on a fairly low value item) is not to be trusted.

If you can get out of the sale, do.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@dustmite007 wrote:

I sold an item to a UK buyer. After they paid they asked me to put a lower value on the custom's form so they don't have to pay duties. It wasn't even a high priced item. I will not do that as it is just wrong & unethical.  This person is also a seller so they should know better than to ask that.  I told the person that I have never had a problem sending from Canada to the UK & no one has ever complained of having to pay duty. I am afraid that when they receive the item & see that I put the actual cost they may give me negative feedback. Would I be able to get it removed if I can show the correspondence with them through e-mail? 

You've gotten some great advice here - just wanted to chime in and let you know that a negative left specifically because of customs would be something that should be a relatively easy appeal. Hopefully it won't come to that, but wanted to set your mind at ease in the event it goes that way. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply