Help me identify silver markings

shplad
Community Member

Hi everyone:

Looking to sell some silver beakers. I can't find the exact markings using Google or any other search engine.

You can clearly see the number "84" on both. Does this mean they are Russian in origin?

On one, you can see what looks like "NE3". Can't tell if it's the Russian character that looks like a backwards English N.

I don't even have a guess as to the other symbols.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The left beaker I believe is Ivan Khlebnikov.

If you go to the same website I posted above - click on Russian Makers Cyrillic alphabet and go to "I"

You will find underneath his last name Khlebnikov it shows his name in cyrillics and it starts with the XN as shown on your beaker.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You should also post this question on the ebay dot COM boards.

There are more experts there.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yes, Russian -  the 84 is for 84 zolotniki which denotes .875 silver - not sterling.

You can find this hallmark here:

http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

Good luck with your sale of these beakers.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

lucitabby:

Thanks. Yes, I eventually found that page. And I figured out that the number means 87.5% silver. But the Backwards NE has a character that looks like a 3 after it. Can you tell me what that means in that context?

I also cannot find the other markings anywhere on that whole Website. Did I miss them.

Tny help would be appreciated. This is not laziness folks, I just am having a hard time finding this.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Oh wait... I thinkn I may have found the maker. Looks like N(backwards)E3 means "Israel Eseevich Zakhoder" previously attribted to

"Igor E Zaviyanov".

For the left beaker, though, any idea what that one is?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The left beaker I believe is Ivan Khlebnikov.

If you go to the same website I posted above - click on Russian Makers Cyrillic alphabet and go to "I"

You will find underneath his last name Khlebnikov it shows his name in cyrillics and it starts with the XN as shown on your beaker.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

lucitabby:

Thanks. Somehow, I couldn't get past seeing those characters for English ones, which is incorrect.

Got a full description now thanks to you. Very much appreciated!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply