How do I handle a case where item not received and a few days later, item shows up

back in my mailbox, with a sticker from Canada Post that address is non-existent/incorrect.  I use copy/paste when preparing my envelopes, so it is not my error.  Last time this happened I refunded the amount, prepared another listing and the purchaser rebought the item. The item was then mailed to the revised address, purchaser received the item and left positive feedback.  Of course, as case was opened I also received a defect.

Is there a way around this without getting a defect?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How do I handle a case where item not received and a few days later, item shows up

So they already have filed an item not received case?  You automatically get a defect when a case is opened but there is a small possibility that it can be removed.

Is there online tracking on the item showing that it could not be delivered?

Have you message the buyer through the case to find out their correct address and/or why the item was refused? If the address is correct, it could be a CP mistake. Or, perhaps there is an apartment number missing?  Either way, you need to know if the buyer wants you to send the item again or if they want a refund. If the case is already open, there is no tracking and they want a refund, you should refund through the case but you might want to phone customer service first as a refund would close the claim and it might be easier to get the defect removed in the case is still open..

Ask cs  to look at the messages between you and the buyer showing that the address was wrong and ask them to remove the defect because the address problem was not your mistake.. That may take more than one phone call.

If the buyer wants the item sent again, it might be best not to phone until you have a message from the buyer that they have now received it.

Sorry if I am being confusing but things have changed a lot in the last few months and it's difficult to know all of the ins and outs of the system now. I personally don't think that you should have a defect for this but ebay may say that because there is no delivery confirmation showing that delivery wasn't possible, the defect will stick.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

So they already have filed an item not received case?  You automatically get a defect when a case is opened but there is a small possibility that it can be removed.

Is there online tracking on the item showing that it could not be delivered?

Have you message the buyer through the case to find out their correct address and/or why the item was refused? If the address is correct, it could be a CP mistake. Or, perhaps there is an apartment number missing?  Either way, you need to know if the buyer wants you to send the item again or if they want a refund. If the case is already open, there is no tracking and they want a refund, you should refund through the case but you might want to phone customer service first as a refund would close the claim and it might be easier to get the defect removed in the case is still open..

Ask cs  to look at the messages between you and the buyer showing that the address was wrong and ask them to remove the defect because the address problem was not your mistake.. That may take more than one phone call.

If the buyer wants the item sent again, it might be best not to phone until you have a message from the buyer that they have now received it.

Sorry if I am being confusing but things have changed a lot in the last few months and it's difficult to know all of the ins and outs of the system now. I personally don't think that you should have a defect for this but ebay may say that because there is no delivery confirmation showing that delivery wasn't possible, the defect will stick.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the advice.  She does want the order mailed again and has not asked for a refund.   Hopefully she will receive it this time and will close the case.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Dont rely on her receiving it. Ebay will probably refund the buyer before it arrives.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

They shouldn't refund the buyer unless they ask ebay to step in.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply