How do I report a seller that knowingly describes an item incorrectly?

Hi Guys,

It is described as a very High Grade Coin.  I realize that in it self is open for discussion.  The seller also advised, basically saying. what you see is what you get.  I looked at the photos and noticed dings on the coin edge and when I asked the seller, he merely stated that he never noticed them when he listed it.   I asked if he was going to modify his alter his listing and he stated that his listing will stand as is.  Is this not a form of deception?  The unsuspecting bidders will probably be duped by this unscrupulous practice.  Is there no way of preventing this type of selling???

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the info.  So I guess it is truly "buyer beware" .  That is our best and only protection against this type of selling.

Of course, you could always return the goods if sellers allows it, without saying ---- at buyers expense.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can Report it to eBay.

But if the dings are as apparent from the photo, then this is a case of the potential customer deciding whether the actual condition is worth the money.

It's not uncommon, and here I'm speaking as someone who has been involved with auctions for many years, for there to be more bidding on the lesser quality item, perhaps because the bidders see it as 'affordable' and are really looking for a spacefiller. Sometimes the spacefiller will even go higher than the VF item.

We're not thieves... well, we are thieves, but the point is we're not taking what's his.Now we'll stay out of his way the best we can from here on in.--- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I agree that I saw the dings, but when I confronted the seller, he merely stated that he never noticed them.  This in itself makes me believe the seller was attempting to deceive potential buyers as he was not prepared to change his listing when I discussed the matter with him.  This coin was listed as a Very High Grade Coin.  You state this type of listing is not uncommon --- well, People out there in the EBAY Community, it is time for us to speak up and  leave only truthful feedback and not sugar coat it.  It is almost impossible to contact Ebay to have them look into each and every listing that someone feels is incorrect or misleading and therefore the only recourse for buyers is to try and communicate to resolve the issues or leave negative feedback, if it is justified.  Unfortunately, 99.9999% of potential buyers will never read this post.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Around the turn of the century, the stamp collectors and dealers tried this.

EBay shut down the group.

Now, admittedly there was some vigilanteism and some crackpot bullying, but most of the group were both well- intentioned and well-informed. But they got shut down anyway.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the info.  So I guess it is truly "buyer beware" .  That is our best and only protection against this type of selling.

Of course, you could always return the goods if sellers allows it, without saying ---- at buyers expense.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply