Is it legal a company in Canada domestic market sell goods in USD?

I bought some auto parts from Prime Choice on ebay.ca. As the parts priced in US dollar so I thought they will deliver from US. But this seller was located in Ottawa, on itself website

same products at almost same time the price are much cheaper than on ebay.ca around 20%.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@lao-explorer wrote:

I bought some auto parts from Prime Choice on ebay.ca. As the parts priced in US dollar so I thought they will deliver from US. But this seller was located in Ottawa, on itself website

same products at almost same time the price are much cheaper than on ebay.ca around 20%.

The cost to sell on eBay is higher than on a web site.

eBay store final value fees for Auto parts is 8%, PayPal fees is 2.9%. Exchange rate from US $ to Can $ is 2.5%. This ads up to 13.7% overhead to sell same part on eBay than on a web site.

Add in another 5% to cover liberal eBay return policy which most likely is higher than returns on web site.

So 20% makes sense but is a bit high. More like 15% would be fair.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes it is legal. Many Canadian sellers sell in U.S. dollars because the majority of their customers are in the U.S.

It's always a good idea to compare prices before you make a purchase because they can vary quite a bit.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@lao-explorer wrote:

The cost to sell on eBay is higher than on a web site.

eBay store final value fees for Auto parts is 8%, PayPal fees is 2.9%. Exchange rate from US $ to Can $ is 2.5%. This ads up to 13.7% overhead to sell same part on eBay than on a web site.

Add in another 5% to cover liberal eBay return policy which most likely is higher than returns on web site.

So 20% makes sense but is a bit high. More like 15% would be fair.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Of course it is legal.

Your local corner store could set all his prices in yen or euros and that would be legal too, as long as he is remitting the appropriate taxes.

It's just more convenient if everyone is using the same currency.

Since the US dollar is understood by the world, and Americans understand no other currency, it is sensible for a Canadian seller to list in US dollars, especially since over 80% of sales will go to US buyers.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
latest reply