Is there a better way to ship small items , say 200gm in a bubble envelope? Parcel rates absurd.

I'm trying to understand the outrageous shipping costs within Canada.  For small value items there seems to be no cost effective way to ship with Canada Post.  Has anyone found a way to ship small items within Canada that doesn't amount to a truck payment?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is there a better way to ship small items , say 200gm in a bubble envelope? Parcel rates absurd.

Canada Post Lettermail Oversize has weight breaks from 100 to 500 gram (max) and prices of $1.80+tax to $5.05+tax. The package has to be less than 2 cm (0.78 inch) thick. The max dimensions are 38 cm x 22 cm x 2 cm.

Otherwise you have to use the more expensive parcel services.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Canada Post Lettermail Oversize has weight breaks from 100 to 500 gram (max) and prices of $1.80+tax to $5.05+tax. The package has to be less than 2 cm (0.78 inch) thick. The max dimensions are 38 cm x 22 cm x 2 cm.

Otherwise you have to use the more expensive parcel services.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ummm, actually the max dimensions for oversize mail are 38 cm x 27 cm x 2 cm.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

latte403
Community Member

@kirk9795 wrote:

I'm trying to understand the outrageous shipping costs within Canada.  For small value items there seems to be no cost effective way to ship with Canada Post.  Has anyone found a way to ship small items within Canada that doesn't amount to a truck payment?

You are from Alberta? Just use USPS via DYK Post.They have an office in Calgary.

I believe they have pickups from Edmonton twice a week.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the correction. I do not want to post misinformation. I misread my one page CP services rate sheet I made. The sheet was correct with 27 but my old eyes read 22 ...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Seller who are conscious of the 2cm maximum should be very careful of bubble envelopes.

While they do offer some protection from water and from blows, they are also nearly 1 cm thick and can be bent.

For many items using a poly envelope (waterproof, difficult to open) and a cardboard or corplast stiffener would be a better choice.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for this info. This is an awesome service. Hopefully it catches on nation wide or at least serves as a "wake-up call" for Canada Post.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your explanation. Seems Canada Post has us all by the short hairs when shipping in Canada. "Latte403" has found a great solution for shipping out of Canada. Hope that one catches on.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply