Item Not Received Cases & Delivery Times Stated for Canada Post & USPS

Hello, I have received a purchase from a USA seller today March 27, and some items are missing from the package. I purchased everything at the same time and paid in one payment with combined shipping on March 13. It states under "shipping and payments" section it takes 7-13 business days to arrive. I went to open an INR claim for the items that were not in the package (you are able to claim INR for individual items now even when purchased and shipped together, items are treated as separate), and it told me I couldn't file a claim until April 13, a month after purchase. I do not understand this, as the times don't match up with the delivery time stated in listing of 7-13 business days. The only reason this concerns me is because I sold an item to a USA buyer on March 3, and they were able to open an INR case on March 21, this is a lot less than one month, I have to wait a month to file a claim with a USA seller. Why the difference in INR claim times between Canadian sellers and USA sellers? So they are supposed to receive our items faster than we receive theirs? It states under "shipping and payment" section in my listings 6-10 business days to arrive to the USA for Lettermail and 6-11 business days for Light Packet, why would it be less than USA shipping times, is Canada Post faster than USPS? Not from my experience. I know it somewhat depends on shipping method, but it's all airmail. I wonder after how long exactly a USA customer is able to open a INR case? After a week or two?

A separate question. Since I have to file INR on items separately from one seller in one shipment, will I be refunded for the shipping on that item as well, since combined shipping is involved, I paid and extra $1.50 for shipping each additional item, and I'm missing two items from the package? Or will a refund of the item price only be refunded? I can't remember but I think it's the latter, could someone who knows please clarify? I don't also need to be ripped off of shipping fees.

I think some of the delivery times for Canada Post estimated under "shipping and payments" need to be changed, as I know in some cases it can take longer than 6-10 business day to arrive to USA, as it can take longer than 6-10 business days to receive an item from the USA. I would say these estimations of 6-10 business days are more for shipping within Canada. In my listings, estimates to Canada states 3-7 business days, only a few days difference from USA. There is a border to be crossed. Also for International, it states 4-7 business days for Lettermail and 5-10 business days for Light Packet to places like UK and France. Packages do sometimes arrive within these time frames, but not always, and it seems that the buyer is counting down right to the exact estimated delivery time, then opening a case.

I would like to know why the estimated delivery times are the same for New York, California, and Florida? Wouldn't the delivery time be different from East to West to South? I know it takes longer for a package to get to the other side of Canada than it does to one province over.

I do not want to confuse my customers as I have a slightly different realistic estimate of arrival in my listings. I am also concerned as I have had 3 INR cases open from USA buyers so far in 2015, and many emails asking where their item is within 2 weeks of shipment, or where's their tracking number. If only USA & International customers knew how much it costs for tracking from Canada Post, in most cases it costs more than the item itself, as I sell miniature low value items, and I offer free shipping. I have had 1-2 INR cases maximum each previous year. It could have something to do with the bad weather in Eastern/Atlantic Canada, or the "Money Back Guarantee" splattered all over Ebay's site. For the year of 2014 I had one INR case, $21 was refunded. So far in month three of 2015 I have had 3 INR cases, $64 was refunded. Something must be wrong here, and I have not been doing anything differently on my part. Where has the patience gone. I wish people wouldn't shop online if they're not willing to wait 2-3 weeks to receive their item. I have yet to receive a returned package for non-delivery.

Thank you in advance for your help and patience with my long post of concerns. Any advice is much appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

TL-DR

Why the difference in INR claim times between Canadian sellers and USA sellers?

Because Canadian sellers are foreigners. It would normally take longer for a parcel to arrive overseas than to the next state???

For your immediate problem:

Contact the seller and explain what is missing.

He may be able to replace the items.

Or he may have had to ship them separately, because postage rates are dimensional.

Or he may try to blow you off.

But start with the seller.

Remember that if the seller is not cooperative, you are not tied to eBay/Paypal. You can go to the credit card you really paid with (PP is just a useful mediator)phone the 1800 customer service number and ask about a chargeback for the unshipped products.

But contact the seller first.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That's odd, you shouldn't have to wait a month.  According to the MBG you cannot open an item not received claim until after the last estimated delivery date in order details. If the last eta was 13 days, that would be about the middle of next week. Don't go by what it says in the shipping tab though...what does it say under order details?

You didn't mention that you contacted the seller and asked them why some items are missing?  There may be a logical explanation (sent in two packages) or they may realize they made a mistake and send out the missing items.

I'm not sure that an inr is the best way to go. If the seller used tracking and sent everything together, the tracking will show that the package was received and you could lose the case. If the items were from just one listing, you would definitely file a snad....so that 'might' be the thing to do in this case....assuming that you did contact the seller and they are not being helpful.

The one problem with a snad is that they can ask you to send the item back...obviously you didn't receive it so can't send it back. You could also file a claim through paypal and I don't believe there is any minimum time frame for that but you would still run into the same inr/tracking problems.

I hesitate to say to phone customer service about this as their advice isn't always correct...though I might trust a U.S. rep more than an outsourced one. 

Let us know what the seller says when you tell them about this. If they can't/won't help, I will ask on one of the U.S. boards...they might be more familiar with problems like this.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sorry for my delayed response. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went to "contact seller" from the "purchased history" page on the section to the right next to sellers username, and it took me to a page with a list of automated answers and options to choose from, not contact seller, or maybe I overlooked the option to contact seller. I click "didn't receive item" and it came up something about sending a request and message, I clicked that and it took me to something that looked like it was opening a case with a message box. Seems like things have changed with the contact seller/claims/request options, has been a while since I needed to contact a seller, or make a claim. Are claims and requests different? Does a request open a case, or does it contact the seller? Can't remember exactly how it was worded.

So, I clicked back, and when I scrolled down to the item I didn't receive, there are different options on the right, no contact seller or send request, but instead "I didn't receive my item" option. I clicked on that, and that's when it took me to the page saying I had to wait a month to open a case. I initially only wanted to contact the seller, but at the time couldn't find it. When I look at it now, it doesn't have "I didn't receive my item" anymore, the next closest thing to that is "return my item", weird.

I did finally find the correct way to contact the seller, by clicking on their username and clicking contact seller, duh. Of course I felt dumb lol. The seller informed me they shipped the missing items a day after the other shipment as they realized they forgot to include them. Haven't yet received them, I'm sure they'll show up any day now.

Seems like some simple things on ebay are getting somewhat complicated. It's probably just me lol.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I suspect that they are trying to make buyers contact sellers before opening Disputes. As a seller, I am glad of it, but it can be confusing especially to new buyers. (And obviously, experienced buyers, too.)

Keep an eye on the calendar, and if your item has not arrived by Day 40 from the original purchase, open a Dispute here;

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

The first step will be Contact Seller but you have already done that.

Opening a Dispute allows the transaction to be resolved and gives both of you a little more time.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I looked at your stock and am laughing my head off at the miniature Barbie credit cards.

Attention to detail! Love it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I may have to open a dispute next week if the items do not arrive. If they shipped it a day after the first package as they stated, it seems to be taking a while to arrive.

Thank you for the compliment femme, I love miniature things.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply